C cast vs. Vermiculite, ceramic wool blanket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My new SBI Flame XTD 1.9-I insert has a vermiculite baffle, but when it needs replacing, SBI makes a C cast that is the exact dimensions (goes into the higher end modes like Osbourne) that I can use. Any opinions about c cast vs. vermiculite?

Also, older models of the Flame Insert used a ceramic wool blanket on top of the baffle, called it insulation in the old manual, but apparently discontinued the practice. Any opinions about having the blanket on top of the baffle? Seems like it might slow the flow out through the flue and perhaps burn off some additional gasses on the way out after it gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.