C/L - Such a Deal (not)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePapa

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2008
Southern Calif.
TreePapa said:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/1326894299.html

someone thinks they can sell a wheelbarrow's worth (maybe) of green wood for $30. Maybe they'll find a sucker.

Peace,
- Sequoia

And that would be a very small wheelbarrow. i counted eight pieces of wood. Maybe they can sell it by the
pound like steak.

Looks dry though ;)

TreePapa said:

someone thinks they can sell a wheelbarrow's worth (maybe) of green wood for $30. Maybe they'll find a sucker.

Peace,
- Sequoia

You would be suprised... On my way to the shore on the weekends I pass about 20 or so houses selling 8-10 splits of pine for $5 and the many of them are sold out on the weekend. I wish I had a property on the way to the shore... I'd sell them Oak for $.50 a split!

I wonder how much that works out to for a cord at $.50 a split? Any math wizards care to take a shot? about 4-6" diameter about 18-20" long.

At the local megamart today I saw $5.99 "chiminea wood". Bundle of approx. 9 splits, each about 10" x 3". No kidding. I'm calculating over $1600 per cord, can that be right?

madrone said:
At the local megamart today I saw $5.99 "chiminea wood". Bundle of approx. 9 splits, each about 10" x 3". No kidding. I'm calculating over $1600 per cord, can that be right?
It sounds like it's cheaper than that CL deal.

Well, those people are going for ambiounce (sp) not heat. Only us true wood burners can get both :)

Bubbavh said:
TreePapa said:

Peace,
- Sequoia

You would be suprised... On my way to the shore on the weekends I pass about 20 or so houses selling 8-10 splits of pine for $5 and the many of them are sold out on the weekend. I wish I had a property on the way to the shore... I'd sell them Oak for $.50 a split!

I wonder how much that works out to for a cord at $.50 a split? Any math wizards care to take a shot? about 4-6" diameter about 18-20" long.

Works out to about $288.00 a cord. Before delivery charges :)

madrone said:

Maybe you guys can help me - I'm about to buy a Jotul F500 Oslo - I can't find anyone that is selling "Jotul wood". I don't know what I'm going to do this year - maybe just burn the cardboard that the stove comes in?

CarbonNeutral said:
madrone said:

Maybe you guys can help me - I'm about to buy a Jotul F500 Oslo - I can't find anyone that is selling "Jotul wood". I don't know what I'm going to do this year - maybe just burn the cardboard that the stove comes in?

Crap . . . I think I burned the wrong wood last year in my Jotul . . . you're right . . . I just went with the Generic Wood last year thinking I didn't have to use Jotul Wood. The worse part of it all was I got so tired by the end of the season since all that Generic Wood came in black and white packaging just labeled "Wood." ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.