Lopi found on Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reagib

Nov 21, 2019
SW Missouri
I see a used Lopi wood stove on Craigslist. I’ve never bought a used stove, so I really don’t know what to look for as far as red flags. I’m looking at a Lopi because it can vent out the back, which we need for our space.
For anyone who knows wood stoves, if you wouldn’t mind, can you look at the post (link at bottom of this post) and tell me what you think? He said the model is WHA011875. I can’t find any information about this particular model.
For me to go look at it is a 2.5 hour drive, one way. So I really need to be pretty sure about this stove before I make the trip.
Thank you!
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/d/kansas-city-wood-stove-brand-name-lopi/7593423439.html

Can't really see much in those pics. Have him send you a pic of the metal tag on the back of the stove; That should have the model name on it. And ask for some shots pointing up into the firebox where you might be able to see evidence of overfiring...warped metal and so on.
Ask him if he ran the stove, then play dumb and have him tell you his procedure when starting a fire.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I think there are older owner's manuals on Lopi's web site. May be able to figure out from there. I have a little Answer, which looks a lot like those dimensions. Bricks should probably be in differently. Standing up.

Last edited:
Search Google for "old Lopi owners manual." Will see Manuals - Discontinued.

Scrap the heat retainer. I think the back wall bricks should go vertical?

Yes. All my Lopi bricks are vertical. Well, not the floor and baffle. Owner's manual will have orientation.

It's an old stove, looks pre-EPA from the early to mid '80s and fairly small. Probably the first Answer model which had horiz. side bricks. It's not worth $750 just because it's a Lopi. The WHA011875 indicates the Warnock Hersey Lab testing number not the model. They should post a good picture of the Mfg. UL label on the bottom rear of the stove.

Last edited:
Wonder if they just threw bricks in any way after moving. I removed all bricks to move it myself from garage to house.

There is an early '80s Answer manual on the Lopi web site. '81 - '84, I think, when I looked earlier.