C/S/S How long will silver maple last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunfoolio

Mar 13, 2015
merrimac, ma
I am working on year 3 and was wondering how long it would last? I do not want it in my stack if it will just rot anyway. Area gets lots of sun and wind.

Throw some top cover on it, and I wouldn't be worried any if it was solid to start with.

pen

Reactions: Fred Wright
Forever as long as it is kept dry. Just ask the studs in your wall.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Not sure in the long run but I've got some that's been out there three years. Top-covered, I'd bet it would last a long time.

Forever as long as it is kept dry. Just ask the studs in your wall.

Ummm . . . if I start asking the wood studs in my walls questions and they answer back I think someone might have to blue paper me. ;)

Pretty much indefinitely if kept covered and dry. A lot of furniture is made from maple.

Our issue with soft maple is the high humidity here. It can get mold after a couple years on the stacks.

Kept dry, it will last for decades. Not sure why you aren't burning it after 3 yrs. I burn a lot of silver maple and it's not as good as some for long burns, but it still makes a lot of heat. I've never heard of silver maple studs though. Too twisty.

Im too dependant on soft maple to supply my firewood in the one year seasoning catagory. Its unusual for it to be sitting longer. I roll hickory and oak over from season to season but never the lighter stuff. I dont have huge stockpiles though.

I processed silver maple last summer, and I recently checked a pile of ends/uglies I didn't fiddle with last year, and those in contact with the soil were doing predictably worse than the others, but it seemed obvious that uncovered is not a good strategy for silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.