CAB50 Constant feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jnelston

Feb 28, 2019
Maine
My CAB50 is constantly feeding even if thermostat is off. I have ordered a new auger motor (needed to be replaced anyway) and waiting for it. Wondering if it could be a control board issue?

Thanks for input

Jordan

If auger is turning 100% of time control board Triac has probably short circuited. Easily fixed if you know how to solder and find replacement via internet search.

If stove just doesn't shut down and auger runs intermittently then it could be short in thermostat wiring. Does red call light go off when thermostat is turned down which is normal? If not Disconnect wires at back of stove thermostat connector and see if stove turns off.

Reactions: kappel15
If auger is turning 100% of time control board Triac has probably short circuited. Easily fixed if you know how to solder and find replacement via internet search.

If stove just doesn't shut down and auger runs intermittently then it could be short in thermostat wiring. Does red call light go off when thermostat is turned down which is normal? If not Disconnect wires at back of stove thermostat connector and see if stove turns off.

Stove will shut down. I don't think it's the wiring. I am experienced in circuitry and soldering but don't know schematics etc....to know what to check

This is a triac you should have 4-5 on your board
A80385DE-DC63-4D86-B63F-08004EC0B6DD.jpeg

The stove blowers will shut down but auger will keep feeding pellets causing over flow, severe smoking cuz blower stopped running. It's like the circuit to the auger is always closed.

Could be something besides the auger. Could be blower acting up, shutting down before stove is done doing its job. Check running of stove more and get back to us.

If you have a multi- meter you can measure resistance across the triac source and drain pins with board out of stove They are 3 pin devices and the 3rd pin is the gate which turns the device on and allows current to flow between drain and source (aka motor runs).

Compare resistance values between all of them and one should be short circuited, ie low resistance. Or look at stove schematic to trace auger colored wire to stove pin location to help identify triac.

These can be ordered by searching on internet, usually $5 / ea.

Reactions: kappel15
Could be something besides the auger. Could be blower acting up, shutting down before stove is done doing its job. Check running of stove more and get back to us.
I lnow the stove is running fine besides auger motor constantly feeding. I installled a switch to regulate on and off of auger motor and as long as I manually regulate feed amount it'll work and pump heat.

Replaced auger motor today and still have issue. Gonna look into triac idea. Id rather not replace a $200 control board if I dont have to Lol. Just need to find my multimeter or pickup a new one.