CAB50 Pellet feed issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewCanuck

Nov 18, 2021
Prince Edward Island
I have a Heatilator CAB50 that worked fine until the spring. On startup this season the unit starts normally, feeds pellets, ignition, a decent fire, convection blower starts and the unit seems fine until this point. Once it has been running for a few minutes, pellets continue to drop but it seems at a reduced rate. The fire of course dies down but the unit continues to drop some pellets but not what I would consider to be the normal amount. If I hit the reset button on the rear of the unit, it drops pellets like it would on startup and shortly after the entire cycle repeats. I have cleaned this unit as per the manual, removing the baffle plates in the fire box, the exhaust vent, the firebox itself, have removed both side covers and vacuumed the interior of the cabinet, blew the pressure hose out, removed the stack and clean that (there was very little residue there), emptied the hopper and cleaned and vacuumed it, etc.

My first thought was a weak auger motor but it does feed properly on startup and if I hit the reset button. I am open to any thoughts as to what the issue may be.

Last edited:
have you changed brands of pellets? if they are large they may slow down a bit on the amount it feeds. smaller pieces feed more.

I actually did change them with a different brand. The ones that were in it are a brand that I have used to a couple of years with no problems. I am having the same issue with the new brand. Thanks for the reply! 😀

have you had the combustion blower out and cleaned? is the vent pipe clean and clear? any vacuum issue with either the stove will not feed.

have you had the combustion blower out and cleaned? is the vent pipe clean and clear? any vacuum issue with either the stove will not feed.
I did not remove the combustion blower but did vacuum what I could and did blow it out with compressed air. I did clean the vent pipe out (there was very little residue in it). Thanks again!

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar problem with my cab 50, I changed out the auger motor but my old auger motor had 2 wires to the connector, and this new one has 3. Does yours have 3 or 2? If it does have 3, any chance you can share a picture? Trying to figure out the wiring to mine.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar problem with my cab 50, I changed out the auger motor but my old auger motor had 2 wires to the connector, and this new one has 3. Does yours have 3 or 2? If it does have 3, any chance you can share a picture? Trying to figure out the wiring to mine.
Here you go, I hope that it helps!

Cab50_1.jpgCab50_3.jpgCab50_2.jpg

I don't have time to take the side off the stove again but looking at the photos that I attached and the connector on my stove couples with flat 4 type connectors. On my stove there are two wires on both of the outside openings on the connector. The motor on my stove has four wires from the motor, a black, a red and 2 white wires. The 2 white go into the connector in the same slot. Blow the photos up that I attached and you should have no issues viewing the wiring configuration. Good luck!

I don't have time to take the side off the stove again but looking at the photos that I attached and the connector on my stove couples with flat 4 type connectors. On my stove there are two wires on both of the outside openings on the connector. The motor on my stove has four wires from the motor, a black, a red and 2 white wires. The 2 white go into the connector in the same slot. Blow the photos up that I attached and you should have no issues viewing the wiring configuration. Good luck!
Definitely looked like 2, I just wanted to confirm. Thanks again for your help!

your manual HERE
I would start with setting the flame hight.
from the manual: A properly adjusted fire with the heat output control switch set on “high” has a short active flame pattern that extends out of the firepot approximately 4 to 8 inches (102 to 203mm). If the fire has tall flames with black tails and seems somewhat lazy, the feed rate will need to be reduced. This is done by sliding the fuel adjustment control rod down, which will reduce the feed (Figure 12.2). If the fire is not 4 to 8 inches (102 to 203mm) tall, slide the fuel adjustment control rod up to increase the feed. A medium and low setting will give a shorter flame. The flame will rise and fall somewhat. This is normal.

3C6AE1BC-B360-4A9F-9B11-40B7006BDE14.jpeg