cabin air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spartan928

Mar 15, 2015
Bloomsburg, PA
Hello!,

I have a 1200 SF cabin that has 3 bedrooms, kitchen and bath all separated with doorways and the stove is in a 200 sf living room adjacent to a dining room also 200 sf with a 5' opening between them. I'd like to install an inline fan in the attic and insulted flexible ducts to pull warm air from the stove room and blow into the bedrooms and kitchen. Presently, have a Baker Heat Queen but replacing that soon with a Jotul F45.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions on where to place the intake in the LR ceiling or if I should be pulling cooler air from other rooms and pushing it into the living room. Cabin is circa 1930's so windows are pretty leaky but on the whole cabin is insulated very well, just poor air movement throughout.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7171.JPG
    IMG_7171.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 120
If running a duct through the attic it should be very well insulated. Otherwise the heat loss will be quite significant. To reduce that effect consider intaking from the bedroom(s) and blowing the cooler air into the stove room. Also consider opening up the living room wall to the dining room to allow better natural convection. Or, move the stove into the dining room. That looks like the idea location.

Last edited:
You do need to move the cold air out of those rooms before warm air will move in. Have you tried fans on the floor, sucking air out of the rooms and blowing it toward the stove room?

Hello!,

I have a 1200 SF cabin that has 3 bedrooms, kitchen and bath all separated with doorways and the stove is in a 200 sf living room adjacent to a dining room also 200 sf with a 5' opening between them. I'd like to install an inline fan in the attic and insulted flexible ducts to pull warm air from the stove room and blow into the bedrooms and kitchen. Presently, have a Baker Heat Queen but replacing that soon with a Jotul F45.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions on where to place the intake in the LR ceiling or if I should be pulling cooler air from other rooms and pushing it into the living room. Cabin is circa 1930's so windows are pretty leaky but on the whole cabin is insulated very well, just poor air movement throughout.

Thanks!
Excellent idea to take down the dividing wall, hadn't considered that.....hmmm all new possibilities!