Cabin flooring ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
This fall I'm going to gut the cabin bathroom. I'm looking for flooring ideas.

Water isn't really an issue as it doesn't have a tub. The main issue is sand. It's going to wear away at anything put down.

The substrate is 3/4" ply. It's not insulated, i don't want it to be built up too much as it was laid down at the same height as the original t&g flooring. That gets a new coat of paint every few years.

I was thinking of putting a new t&g flooring down over the ply. It can be repainted as the old paint wears down. But I can see where tile would be a good choice too.

Any other ideas?

Neighbors in NC put in a linoleum product, too. I even commented to them that I liked it. I'll ask them what it is. Just have to make sure the linoleum product is o.k.-ed for bathroom use.

They've started using marmoleum in most of the new construction here on campus. It holds up well but will wear in places with foot traffic and furniture.

Not sure what your budget is but the Pergo laminate we put in about 10 years ago is holding up well.

Hmm, marmoleum seems interesting. I'll have to look into it! And put it up to the wife for her decision!

I'd go with a plastic laminate. I've found the better ones to be very resistant to abrasion (we have 3 dogs). For a bath I'd go with a waterproof one