Cabin Renovation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
We are winterizing and upgrading a cabin that was originally designed for summer use only, for my son and his wife. I won't go into all the details, but we will be installing a Morso 2110 in the living room and a Nectre Bakers Oven in the back half. The chimney for the Morso requires a chase so the local carpenters started tearing up the roof yesterday. Hopefully things will be up and running by mid-December. By late January we typically have 2-3 meters of snow on the ground in this location (Nagano, Japan) so we're eager to get things wrapped up. The Nectre will have to wait until spring, which is fine because the rest of the project won't be done until next summer anyway.

I'll probably be posting more updates as things progress.

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

A rough layout of the hearth
DSC00508.jpg

They were working up in the attic and I decided to take a closer look at the newspaper that was stuffed in all the cracks as insulation.
DSC00543.jpg

Oh, and the sunset wasn't half-bad either!
DSC00555.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

Japan! Damn that is wild. Is it hard to get firewood in Japan.

That little cottage doesn't look particularly Japanese, it could be up in the mountains in New York state.

Beautiful country! Looks like a cozy place, and I like all the glass. What is that roofing material? Looks pretty quick and easy...

We have a good supply of firewood here. Oak, birch, cherry, chestnut, and way too much pine and cedar. The cottage was not made in the style of Japanese architecture at all. This particular vacation community was started in 1921 by foreigners living in Japan. It continues to be a very international community. The roofing material is sheet metal. When they peeled back the green sheet metal it revealed the previous roof which was red sheet metal. When they peeled that back it revealed the original roof which was wood shingles.

Cool. Whats the boxes above the windows?

Those are metal shutters for the windows. The only time we use them is when the cabin is unoccupied in the winter months, but they're pretty common in Japan.

That's a great view!

Status
Not open for further replies.