Cabinet style stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

razzorm

Oct 26, 2008
Berkshires, Western MA
I'm looking to put a stove in my basement but have concerns about our cat jumping on top of a hot stove and getting badly burned paws.
I've had no experience with cabinet style stoves and how hot the vented metal cabinet gets. I know it's got to get quite hot but would it burn the cat like a regular flat top box stove?
Stove will only be used once in a while, not a primary heat source. I've been watching Craigslist as well as Facebook market place.
We can't keep the cat out of the basement.

Are there any cabinet stoves still up for sale? There are stoves that have convective lids that will stay a bit cooler, but cats seem to know when something is too hot. If greatly concerned then maybe fashion a convective lid for the stove of your choice.

Your cat is a lot smarter than you give it credit for being. Put whatever stove you like the looks and performance of down there.

Reactions: webby3650