Cable vs Synthetic Rope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
I'm looking at buying a new 4000# winch to mount on either truck or trailer. It has the option of 3/16 cable or 3/16 rope. Wondering which is best. My last cable winch would cut your hand up with all the frayed cables, curious about rope, I guess my only concern would be abrasion to the rope if it was being pulled over something like a trailer rail or dragging against a tree etc. Most likely this will be mounted on trailer to drag logs up. Thoughts?

Reactions: Gboutdoors
3/16" cable hands down. 3/16" rope is essentially clothesline. If you're concerned with the cable cutting up your hands, and you should be, wear leather gloves. On a side note, 3/16" cable seems a little wimpy for 4000#.

Reactions: Ashful
I wouldn't worry about strength with the synthetic winch lines like Amsteel as they are very strong. Abrasion can be an issue though. I would suggest using a choker around the logs and hooking your winch line to it, whether it's steel or synthetic.

IMG_0761.PNG

IMG_0762.PNG

IMG_0677.JPG

I find the rope to be much better to work with. And no it is not clothesline rated at 3000# . As you can see I use a 6' load strap at the tree.

Reactions: fishki
I keep the two other 50' ropes on one of these cord reels. Nice and handy and neat.
IMG_0763.PNG

I used to race sailboats, and so I've been using Amsteel for many years. I also have more of it on my boat than you'd go through in a lifetime of winching.

It's increadibly strong, light, and slippery stuff. However, I'd think it a poor choice for winching logs, as its abrasion resistance is nowhere near as high as cable. Also, the fiber is not UV-resistant, and will break down in constant sun. For this reason, they coat it with a UV inhibitor, but you may soon chafe that off if using it for dragging logs.

On boats we like it for many reasons, mainly because it's light, and reduces our weight / moment when used in a mast. It also floats! If you go with it, I'd buy it from a wholesaler, rather than from Warn or a winch company. It's pretty inexpensive stuff, as far as sailing lines go, but I'm sure winch mfg'rs charge a premium for it.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872

Fishki that should do the trick. I was going to tell you to get an ATV/UTV winch as they run better and cooler on the low voltage. The rope has been fine for dragging logs thru the brush and over logs. It will fray if run over a metal plate or rough edge but it has not been an issue for me.

The rope has a black nylon cover over the first 5-6' that's what's making it look flat. I think you will be happy with the way this stuff works. No more cables for me ever.

Reactions: fishki
@Gboutdoors how does the synthetic line hold up to being pulled thru all the brush?

This is the winch I am looking at. In the picture it actually looks like a flat strap that is spooled up.
View attachment 195170

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NM5U52S/?tag=hearthamazon-20
I have the super winch 3000lb on my ATV. It's been very good, currently using the original cable. I also have the harbor freight synthetic robe for longer reach. Make sure that you really have good solid wiring connections using lugs.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

3/16" cable hands down. 3/16" rope is essentially clothesline. If you're concerned with the cable cutting up your hands, and you should be, wear leather gloves. On a side note, 3/16" cable seems a little wimpy for 4000#.

The cable might be a little wimpy, but spectra/dyneema/amsteel rope would be well over 4000 lbs breaking strength at 3/16" diameter - that is clothes line I can live with.

Also, while abrasion 'can' be a problem, the rope is really for pulling, you should use a sling, strap, chain, choker or similar for the 'grabbing' / 'cinching' part around the log. Though this would really be the same for steel cable or synthetic rope.

I like to use a logging choker around the tree and then lengths of 5/16" grade 70 logging chain. I used to use 3/4" yellow poly rope, but knots and abrasion were a problem and concern.

Thanks for all the input everyone, going with the synthetic rope. I'm getting to old to be wrestling logs around,if I can get them up on my trailer then I can bring them home and cut when I feel like it.

My setup will be using this 4000# winch. Description says it has 3/16" dyneema rope.
91p4sc5xYRL._SL1500_.jpg

Changing out the hook on the winch with this grab hook
81et7kfWw8L._SL1500_.jpg

And using this 1/4" choker chain
7108Xb8367L._SL1358_.jpg

All from amazon, $306 total cost.

Nice setup fishki that should serve you well. I love my setup if you look at the picture of the winch on the tractor I made it removable. Have fun.

That will be a nice setup fishki. I've never seen a grab hook with a retainer on it, what a good idea, especially when you don't have a helper.

Nice setup fishki that should serve you well. I love my setup if you look at the picture of the winch on the tractor I made it removable. Have fun.

Removable is a good idea now that you mention it. I would like to unmount this quickly when I'm not using it. Will have to look into that. Whats that cradle that your winch sits in?

Edit: Found it, hooks into a receiver.

The synthetic stuff is pretty amazing. Get one metal fiber from a cable under your fingernail and you will want to burn your own house down.

That's my thinking, had an older winch cable years ago run a metal piece thru my gloves and into my hand.

That will be a nice setup fishki. I've never seen a grab hook with a retainer on it, what a good idea, especially when you don't have a helper.

Nothing worse than having a chain hook come off and having to walk back and hook it up again. Hopefully dragging thru brush doesn't mess up the spring and make it useless.

Thanks for that Gboutdoors, a quick disconnect setup will work wonders as I wont always want it mounted.

You can get one of these cheap at HF and mount it on some flat stock on the trailer to make it removable. That's what I did on my trailer before I bought the Kubota.
IMG_0775.PNG

Just flip it upside down and bolt it.