Came across some Curly Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I guess I have seen this but can't remember.

Attachments

• curly locust.jpg
    curly locust.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 164
Cool. Now run it through a surface planer.

Reactions: fishingpol
I will soon be getting mo' Locust...

Reactions: raybonz
Yep, compression ripples make it curly like that. Must've been at a heavy bend in the tree, or where ther was a branch or big root on the backside of a lean.....
I see that in a lot of trees we cut down. I try and save longer rounds like that and cut them into tomahawk or hammer handle blanks. Makes a really pretty hatchet handle with all that curl in it.

I had some white oak like that last year. It never made it to the stove, as I carved it into a rabbit. The ears show the grain the best, and it looked like fur. It was a difficult grain to work as the wood tended to splinter off. It sure was nice to look at.

I think Scott nailed the explination pretty well.

DSC08928.JPG DSC00744.JPG

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
I had some white oak like that last year. It never made it to the stove, as I carved it into a rabbit. The ears show the grain the best, and it looked like fur. It was a difficult grain to work as the wood tended to splinter off. It sure was nice to look at.

I think Scott nailed the explination pretty well.

View attachment 102449 View attachment 102450
Boy Jon, I sure love to see your work! You are a talented fellow. Love those carvings.....

Status
Not open for further replies.