Camp Daleville!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Going to mill the hickory.....8 good size trees have been taken out of here already and 9 to go!

The Pine and two tulips will be drop Sunday......Wish me luck on this one!

Attachments

• resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 425
  • resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 408
  • resize 1.jpg
    resize 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 417
  • resize 5.jpg
    resize 5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 407
  • resize 6.jpg
    resize 6.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 399
smokinjay said:
Going to mill the hickory.....8 good size treeshave been taken out of here already and 9 to go!

Smokin nice pics, what lengths do you cut them for the mill.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Going to mill the hickory.....8 good size treeshave been taken out of here already and 9 to go!

Smokin nice pics, what lengths do you cut them for the mill.

zap

that is about 15 ft. to the first limb I should get 12-14 ft its going to be shelves in the shop come sept. oct.

Where are you milling them?

Need to mill the walnut while your at it.

MMaul said:
Need to mill the walnut while your at it.

I am looking into that. lakey's in daleville will mill it for 30cents a board foot and not waste as much as you would with a saw.

Will they bring the mill to you or do you have to take the wood to them. There is one in Hartford city that will mill 23 cents a board foot if you bring it to him, more if he has to tare down and set up.

MMaul said:
Will they bring the mill to you or do you have to take the wood to them. There is one in Hartford city that will mill 23 cents a board foot if you bring it to him, more if he has to tare down and set up.

this is takeing it to him and its only a 1/4 mile

Nice, does he have alot of logs staked up on his property? I think I know where its at.

MMaul said:
Nice, does he have alot of logs staked up on his property? I think I know where its at.

its behind the liquor store I believe not ever been there and you cant see it from the road. He says to bring it, mill it, and stack it back on the trailer all at one time.

Looks like fun Jay. More power to you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like fun Jay. More power to you.

I am running out of power dennis almost through my back out tuesday.....Was thinking about doing the milling myself but not now, to much work without milling...I think hickory shelves and top of the work bench would look really good.

What are you trying to do Jay? Keep up with me? Nonsense. Or maybe we should just take some time off. Not a bad idea.

I like to have the portable mill come in to cut but you have to have enough to make it pay for the guy. That is why a few of us go in together. Then we are all there to help when the lumber is cut.

Backwoods Savage said:
What are you trying to do Jay? Keep up with me? Nonsense. Or maybe we should just take some time off. Not a bad idea.

I like to have the portable mill come in to cut but you have to have enough to make it pay for the guy. That is why a few of us go in together. Then we are all there to help when the lumber is cut.

that would be Sweet but I only have one and "mmaul" has one walnut and theres one more walnut in there. 30cents a board ft. for hickory lumbar is very atractive. My dad is a cabnet maker and his pice is 2.40 a board ft. and will not get too many chances to deck out the shop with hickory. Not sure what it will yeild its 14 ft by 30in. any ideas on how many board ft. there?

Jay, I've been away from it for too long. Try sending a message to Lee as he will be right on top of it. Or for a very rough estimate, figure it for about 20-22" square. Figure if you want it cut into 1" or 2" and go from there. Remember the formula for board feet: width x thickness x length divide by 12.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I've been away from it for too long. Try sending a message to Lee as he will be right on top of it. Or for a very rough estimate, figure it for about 20-22" square. Figure if you want it cut into 1" or 2" and go from there. Remember the formula for board feet: width x thickness x length divide by 12.

You was right ask Lee 507 board foot thats awesome....

Going back to this one Sunday have the two tulips and pine to go....Need all the luck I can get!

Garage to the back, house to the right fence to the left and a shed down range!

Jay, I just noticed you have passed 10,000 posts! I'm slow, but congratulations to you for the many fine posts you've made.

You are now the #4 poster on this forum too and have passed the webmaster! Do you think you can pass BeGreen?

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I just noticed you have passed 10,000 posts! I'm slow, but congratulations to you for the many fine posts you've made.

You are now the #4 poster on this forum too and have passed the webmaster! Do you think you can pass BeGreen?

LOL NO, Slowing down now....I have just a few more tree's to do for this spring season...Ready for a break away from my head in the tree's. lol

PapaDave said:
SJ, here ya go. http://vintagemachinery.org/math/bdft.aspx

Jeez, n/m, just noticed the dates on this thread.
I'll just go back to enjoying the fire.

Yep the good milling wood is gone but I have those 3 left that I will finish Sunday the only reason I brought it back up is its so fricken tight. Landing zone is super small and lots to hit on the way down! Hate these jobs but sure test every nerve you have......

Status
Not open for further replies.