Can anyone ID this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
Still learning. Basically know the difference between a tree and a non-tree and that's it. Is there a good
comprehensive book with photos for tree ID?

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 432
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 426
Looks Like Pin Oak...

I want to say red oak, but the bark on the first pic doesn't really look like oak and the inner most growth rings suggest otherwise as well. Dunno. Better (larger) pics would help.

If you want a very thorough book that will give you more information that you probably want: The National Audubon Field guide

an example: http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-American-Trees-E/dp/0394507606

Ohh Jay, you might be on to it.

Thanks for the link. Here's a little better photo with higher Res.

Attachments

• wood 3.jpg
    wood 3.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 420
szumbrun said:
Thanks for the link. Here's a little better photo with higher Res.

Growth rings looks like a confier softwood Pine maybe.

Doesn't look like oak to me. I am however having a lot of glare from the sun on my screen this morning. Growth rings look too spread out. The bark doesn't look right either.

Those type pictures make things difficult. Could this be sycamore? Has this tree been down for quite a while? Faded bark? Look how it split; a bit stringy.

Sorry about the photos, they somehow turn 90deg. during the posting.
I have lots of this wood and it was cut about 9 months ago.

Backwoods Savage said:
Those type pictures make things difficult. Could this be sycamore? Has this tree been down for quite a while? Faded bark? Look how it split; a bit stringy.
My first thought was sycamore also, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Backwoods Savage said:

I thought the samething but way to dark for sycamore... Looks like its lost its outter bark.

I agree Jay. Perhaps it is dark because it has been cut longer? The wide rings are a bit puzzling.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree Jay. Perhaps it is dark because it has been cut longer? The wide rings are a bit puzzling.

Looks like pine that the top layer of bark came off for some reason. The Rings are screaming some kinda pine.

The bark is still there. It's Do these photos help?

Attachments

• photo 1(4).jpg
    photo 1(4).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 343
  • photo 2(4).jpg
    photo 2(4).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 372
  • photo 3(2).jpg
    photo 3(2).jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 344
We have a lot of Scots Pine around here and this sure looks like it with some of the bark missing?

Jags said:
PINE
of some sort
(Screaming from the tree tops)

lol Yes and think Muncie Bob on it!

Backwoods Savage said:

My thought as well... the bark pattern looks like it.

ETA, seeing as how some of the experts think it's a pine I'll bow out. Conifer ID by bark/grain is an area where I have very, very little experience. I'm a hardwoods guy.

Ok, Pine. Thanks. From what I read, not such a good firewood - leaves oily residue in chimney. Is that right?. What would you do with it if you have lots of it?

I use it in the shoulder season...but only after it has dried sufficiently(8+ months after split to be on the safe side)! It burns fast and hot and is too much work for me to use what we have available in the really cold months.

muncybob said:
I use it in the shoulder season...but only after it has dried sufficiently(8+ months after split to be on the safe side)! It burns fast and hot and is too much work for me to use what we have available in the really cold months.

+1

rings look like pine or a softwood, the bark does look a little like sycamore, but all the sycamores here are street plantings and I've never seen the inside of one ( and the bark is more three colored camo and that looks more like just 2).

szumbrun said:
Ok, Pine. Thanks. From what I read, not such a good firewood - leaves oily residue in chimney. Is that right?. What would you do with it if you have lots of it?

Pine leaves no more residue (creosote) than another other wood - assuming it too is properly seasoned. Too much moisture/too cool flue gases cause creosote to condense, not the amount of resin in the wood. Half of my winter fuel supply is pine (on purpose), and properly seasoned it is some of the cleanest burning fuel I run through the stove. Learn to love pine. Embrace pine. For me, nothing starts easier and gets the stove up to temp quicker.

Red pine, probably .
+1 for campfires and early September, October burning.

DISCLAIMER: Burning Pine causes cancer!

Status
Not open for further replies.