Can anyone identify this composite/alternative decking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
Hey guys. Reaching out to the collective power on the hearth! You've never let me down!! :)

I'm looking at a house that has this decking and 3 of the 'boards' are damaged. Other then that, it just needs a pressure wash.

Can anyone help me identify what this is? The house was built in 1988 but I doubt the decking is that old.

I looks like it has a central retaining system and the decking is slid in. There are no fasteners visible from the top down.

Thanks!!

1591900638908.png1591900671056.png1591900707337.png

Going to be very difficult to find exact replacement. Even if you could they would be significantly discolored. How damaged are the damaged ones? Repair with epoxy? Add some different color boards as stripes (as a design scheme).

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Definitely PVC. No splinters, doesn't heat up, and no fasteners show from top. There were a couple being sold by different companies when I bought mine about 15 years ago. Mine was Tek Deck. Similar, but no star pattern on top. They all melted a different pattern on top for slip resistance. I looked into a couple manufacturers at the time and most were 12 foot long planks that the top was in a roll that snapped on top after fastening down the base. About 3 times the price of a treated deck, but lasts much longer if never damaged.
Check at pool places, showing them pics in the area where this is. The selling point was it doesn't heat up with bare feet, so you'll find it sold around pools and hot tubs. Even resorts. Mine came from a vinyl fence company that also sold vinyl decking. A local masonry supply store sold something similar, so building material retailers pick up products to supplement their regular products much like all sorts of suppliers from plumbing to feed stores sold Fisher Stoves seasonally.

Last resort is moving the damaged planks to an area they won't show as much, or be under something.
Mine squeaks when walked on, very common issue with them, and possibly the reason they fell out of favor.

Thanks a great deal guys. I never would have thought to check pool places.

1 if them has almost a 2" hole/crack in it with material missing. If I can't find a replacement, I may swap boards like you said..or throw an outdoor rug over it. I'd repair if first with bondo or some other filler. Who knows.

The house is really nice and I'm hoping to be the new owner as long as there are no surprises.

If it all looks good...tractor, new wood burning insert and then shop construction starts out back. My dream has always been to have a shop with a vehicle lift in it.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200606-102643_Redfin.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-102643_Redfin.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: ben94122