Can anyone identify this stove & some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bantling

Mar 13, 2011
PA
BrotherBart said:
Or maybe that galvanized pipe is off-gassing zinc oxide.

Actually, that was my first thought when I initially caught a whiff of it, but I could see the top of the stove giving off smoke. I never had to use stove polish on my other stove, so I wasn't sure if it made that much of a stink (and smoke).

raybonz said:
http://www.majesticproducts.com/INTRO_WoodBurn_Stoves.asp?T=Wood Burning Stoves and Inserts

Maybe someone used stove polish on the stove aka stove black...

Ray

That does look like the same stove. Are they a decent brand?

If it's stove black, how long will it take to burn off? It seemed like it was smoking less after a while, but I wasn't sure if that was because the fire was dying down at that point or what.

I am a previous owner of a beautiful red catalytic wood burning stove (I can't remember the manufacturer). I loved the way the stove burned and had a good supply of wood and used it almost daily through the nearly four years we lived there. We moved, the stove moved with us. My new house had all of three trees, two of which I planted. The stove was moved into the garage where it was seldom used. A few years later, we inherited an old house along with 5 wonderful wooded acres of ground. The house needs lots of work, but it's wonderful waking up every morning surrounded by trees and water. I guess it was a lack of foresight that we left our old wood stove behind with the new owners of the house.

Now I find myself in the position where I can't afford to buy a lovely $2000+ catalytic wood burning stove, but with this winter's heating bills and looking forward to next year, I bought one I found on the local craigslist. Remembering how wonderful it was to wake up in the morning and build a toasty warm fire in the stove, I was really looking forward to getting another one.

I built my first fire in it tonight, and was quickly disappointed. For one thing, as soon as I got a nice fire going, the top of the stove started smoking and sending off fumes. I don't know if they polished or cleaned it with something, but it was awful. The smoke detectors started going off, the room got foggy, and I ended up opening the windows. Secondly, the lever you see on the top front that I thought would help control the air flow, seemed not to do very much at all to control the fire. It burned big and hot and I really didn't have that much wood on it. The draft is great, but the fire seemed almost uncontrollable compared to my previous experiences with my other wood stove.

Two questions basically, other than wondering what kind of stove it is: Does anyone have any ideas as to what the smoking and fumes could be from? The top appears to not have been painted or anything. I did notice some black coming off when I wiped it with a damp rag, but just assumed it was soot. Secondly, would installing a stovepipe damper help control the fire better? I really don't have any experience with non-catalytic stoves.

Edit: Stove says CFM Corporation on back

Here's a photo:

wjhwg9.jpg

Or maybe that galvanized pipe is off-gassing zinc oxide.

Boy, that sure looks like an old Century Heating stove we used to have, except for the pattern on the door. It was a cheap stove, $495 new, but it worked.
If you look inside, do you see a steel baffle with firebricks on the upper rear corners? Or does it have big openings in the rear corners of the baffle?
On ours, when I first set it up, I didn't have those bricks in place and the stove behaved like yours does. I added the bricks, and it worked better. It still wouldn't give us an overnight burn, though.
Maybe the sellers gave the stove a quick paint job on top to pretty it up so they'd get a better buck for it, which would explain the smoke.:-/

Thanks for posting that Jimbob. bantling, it appears that this stove was just installed without regard to clearances or safety (galvanized pipe). One can only guess whether this disregard extends to the entire installation. I certainly hope not, especially if this is in a residence.

If you were expecting the stove to be like your old cat stove, no wonder you were disappointed. It could be a decent heater, but may be one of those EPA exempt type stoves. Which means that it will not give you the long burns and not even close to the efficiency. First step is to decifer what it is! ;-)

Good call on the baffle bricks Jimbob!

Figure out what kind of stove it is specifically, make , model, and how to operate and care for it. You'll be able to find a manual for it by researching the site and the web. Then you can safely operate it correctly and get the most heat the stove was intended to offer. Once you figure out what you have, if you decide it's worth keeping, I'd take the bricks out and clean the entire thing and check for cracks or gaps in the welds, as well as warped discolored parts (this is a sign of over fire.) The thing looks like it could use a clean up. It looks to have leaked something from the front where those runs are below the door. Almost like something spilled on it or oozed out of it. I would wire brush the whole thing and repaint it. Replace any damaged bricks, as long as all the welds are intact! With a little TLC, I bet it could be a nice looking and heating stove! I like the detail on the glass. Also, the pipe on top, if it is galvinized, will give off hazzardous gasses as others stated.

Good luck with it, happy heating!

Chris

Edit: I found the same stove on a bing search by typing in cfm wood stoves. It may be a CFM fw300010. Sure looks the same. Rated to put out from 12,000-55,100 BTU's. EPA rated stove. So it could be a decent heater.
http://www.webanswers.com/home-gard...out-for-cfm-wood-stove-model-fw-300010-98a7ee
The link above may bring you to a place where another link is highlighted where you can download the pdf. Once you get to the page scroll down and see the link to the manual. I don't know how to send a pdf file here otherwise I would. I added the two pages of the manual I could find to this post. Just click on the picture to see the pictures in full size, just click control +/- to zoom in or out.
Before you light another fire in that stove make sure all clearances are met and you have a safe set up. It's not worth the risk. Once you check it all out, then burn away! I bet it'll be a nice stove!

Attachments

• img_57_1.jpg
    img_57_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 821
  • img_57_4.jpg
    img_57_4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 753
  • snip 1.png
    snip 1.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 702
  • snip 2.png
    snip 2.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 755
I was always of the belief that off gassin galv pipe on a wood stove could make ya sick if you breathed it in. From the lack of concern raised here I'm guessing that you guys dont think its any worse from burning the paint offa black pipe?

Franks said:
I was always of the belief that off gassin galv pipe on a wood stove could make ya sick if you breathed it in. From the lack of concern raised here I'm guessing that you guys dont think its any worse from burning the paint offa black pipe?

Yes you can get sick from breathing in fumes from burning galvanized metals.. Years ago I worked in a shipyard and a few welders got sick from it.. I believe it is non-toxic just unconfortable.. While I would rather use black stove pipe but I don't think the galv. pipe would be a problem.. My oil furnace has galv. pipe on it and oil burns very hot with no problems.. The problem could be that the pipe is probably light gauge and seamed so that could be a safety/fire hazard though..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.