Can buy a Quadrafire 5700, any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
Hey all,

I currently have a Waterford 104 running 24/7 but it was installed in the most inefficient location in my house relative to the space I want to heat (it's in one corner of the family room, opposite corner from the bedrooms...)

I recently came across a Quadrafire 5700 for sale. Not sure what the price is yet, it was purchased 2.5 years ago. I need to get more information, but I was wondering if anyone has an experience with the stove and whether it's worth a look. I am looking to heat a 1300-1400 sqft Ranch in Northwest NJ. Do you think this stove is too big for what I need? The Quadrafire would be installed in the center of the house through an existing chimney flue. There is nothing wrong with opening a window. :)

Thanks,
Kevin

And a follow up question, does purchasing a used wood stove that meets the 2009-2010 efficiency standards for the tax return qualify you for the 30% rebate?

Thanks

We heat twice that square footage with a 4300ST so you should be good to go...might even be too much. But if you can get a deal on the 5700...go for it.

k3c4forlife said:
And a follow up question, does purchasing a used wood stove that meets the 2009-2010 efficiency standards for the tax return qualify you for the 30% rebate?

Thanks

That stove is double what you need. Windows open will work, but you'll use more wood in the long run than if you had the 4300 model. The 5700 is an awesome stove. As far as the tax credits go, the stove model qualifies, but the IRS clearly states that the use of the stove starts with the original owner or something. Long story short, used stoves dont count, but a stove bought from a dealer that was used in their showroom should.

Alright, maybe ill have to follow up with that and see if in the long run it is worth getting something like that. Something used vs. something brand new or a show room model at 70% after the credit... Thanks

k3c4....,
Working on the second year with my 5700 step top.
Last stove was Consolidated Dutchweast Convection Large cat stove.
It was too small even though it was rated to do the job. Burn times were not long enough. This 5700 is doing just fine for us. Lots of heat when you need it. Drafty place was quite cool before we got hooked up.
Getting good overnite burns with plenty of coals to refire in the morning.
Or you can load lite and back her down, your choice. Fire box is large enough to burn those coals down with only one log and still get temps up high enough for a clean burn. Quite happy with this one.
Now your deal might be dependant on how the stove is dressed out and what he is asking for it. You'll have to be specific on the accessories that he has on the stove. I'm thinking that i'd price out what he has and have a think about it. Dont know how long this tax break is in effect but it might be to your advantage to buy a brand new one with the type of money being knocked off? Might also find out why he's selling the stove?
rustynut

They are selling the stove because they are moving to Florida and the person buying the home doesnt want the liability of having a stove on their homeowners insurance...

I priced out the stove at a few different dealers around here. The base model is going for $2626. That's all black with the black queen legs and no blower. Add the blower for another $301, brings the total to $2927. With a 30% tax credit, the stove would cost $2049... I would also be able to get the flue and installation for 30% off as well. So thats another $150 off the 6"x25' flue and whatever I would be getting off the installation (unless I do it)...

The stove for sale is 2 years old. I need to get a lot more details, we have been playing phone tag. I think it needs to be a pretty good deal for me to consider it after working through just how good the tax incentive is. 30% of a few thousand ads up really quickly.

Thanks for your input on the actual stove quality. Ill let you know after I get some more details.

Kevin

Might be better to post a diagram and description of the area to be heated. Then we can see where best improvements can be made. Going from the Waterford to the 5700 is going to be like going from a Geo Metro to a Chevy Suburban. In other words, you may be more comfortable and a lot more capacity, but fuel consumption and parking are a whole nother world.

The 5700 is a BIG stove. Not sure you really need it, but if the price is right and you can fit it it may work for you. I'd be looking elsewhere.
Let us know what you end up doing. Think about what the temps will be like when you actually fill it up for an overnight.
Chad

k3c4......,
Sounds like you are on the right track here. Chase down those details.
These guys are right about this stove being pretty large. You can pull the specs from the Quad web site. One thing you might not know is that while it is on the large size, it has heat shields built in and can be placed as close as 2 inches to combustable wall. Had to double check that number myself. Even though that's what the company says, I wasn't comfortable being that close and pulled it out to about 7. Still have to watch your pipe clearance but this can reduce your footprint a bit.
My last stove was on legs but it seemed to always be dirty underneath
so we went with the pedistal and have no regrets on that decision.
That 30 percent price break sure makes the "new" price a bit easier to swallow. Nice thing is you can have it exactly the way you want it.
Keep at those details
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.