Can I close of one side of a see thru vent free propane gas fire place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jws13

Nov 24, 2014
Illnois
hello, new to this forum. Is it possible for me to close off one side of a see thru vent free propane gas fire place? I am adding a wood burning fire place on the living room side and wanted to avoid the expense of removing and replacing the see thru unit with a single side unit, plus avoid possibly having to tear into the kitchen side stone work. The current gas logs have two burners on them and I was hoping as long as we only use one burner we might be able to close up the living room side with some prefabicated fire brick panels? any thoughts would be appreciated

No, not possible, you'd change the way the unit heats and cools and any such change must go thru a testing lab like UL to be sure its safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.