Can I convert a wood stove with rear exit flue to a top exit flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiki16

Nov 8, 2021
Upstate NY
Hello, I was recently offered an older wood stove with an oval shaped rear exit flue. I am planning on installing a vertical smoke stack through the roof of my cabin. I am wondering if I can cap the rear exit flue and cut a 6" diameter hole in the top and make it a top exit wood stove? thanks in advance.

Hello, I was recently offered an older wood stove with an oval shaped rear exit flue. I am planning on installing a vertical smoke stack through the roof of my cabin. I am wondering if I can cap the rear exit flue and cut a 6" diameter hole in the top and make it a top exit wood stove? thanks in advance.
Some pics would help

Been sitting in a barn and very rusty. I didn't see the brand name, but ya old. I'm looking to heat a 300 sq ft cabin.

IMG_4770.jpg

Last edited:
Some stove are best relegated the backyard or the scrapyard.

Reactions: clancey
That stove will prove to be more and more valuable over time....much like a pre-givernment designed gas can.

My opinion--no experience and saying that there are beautiful stoves out there they will be valuable in the future maybe fixed up the good way but not changing it and not knowing about it --even its name---I would "toss" your idea and spend time on a nicer one that does not have to have the whole foundation of it changed to fit a 6 inch stack and look at all that rust--eating at it..terrible..clancey

Could be she'd be great scrap but giving the op the benefit of doubt due to posing the question in the first place. Innovation built the first wood stoves and likely will build the last as well. Many folks are burning wood to save money, not cuz its cute and romantic and they have $6 -10k for an install.

That's for true..so go at it..with that kind of talent you have to fix it up and make it right be sure to send us some more pictures but personally if you have that kind of talent to begin with I would start with a better known "product"...clancey

Reactions: snobuilder
That stove will prove to be more and more valuable over time....much like a pre-givernment designed gas can.
I seriously doubt that stove will go up in value unless it's just with the rise in scrap value.