Can I get my unit hotter than 350 F ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Definitely wood is too wet and you are not cutting the air back.
Since you live right near me I can say that this summer was very bad for drying wood. I have ash that was cut split and stacked last fall that has sat in full sun and wind all summer that is not ready. I live just south of valleyfield in Saint Louis de Gonzague
I am trying different things. I have been running Regency inserts since 1998, ice storm in QC, I am sure you remember. I ran my I1300 with wood that was cut and slip in May . I am doing it and I slip the log in 4 pieces and burn nothing other than beech and maple. I was getting 500 to 550 F on that stove and keeping that temp for at least 5 hours. I don't know if it is the wood but I will get a few packs of the compress wood, and carefully, check at what temp I can bring my unit with this wood which is full dry . I will have two gauge, one on the top shelve over the door and one on the front , as it's usual spot . I will see what I get as results. Perfect day to do this , the high will be 3F or -16 C .

I had that stove, I had my thermometer in the generally same spot and was usually always near 500. My insert ran very hot and the stove room was usually around 90 degrees!
How big is the room ? 90 F is really hot , max I got in the house which is pretty open is 75 F with outside temp at 10 F. ????

How big is the room ? 90 F is really hot , max I got in the house which is pretty open is 75 F with outside temp at 10 F. ????

The room is 10x20. The main living room, with wide open archways to the dining room and hallway. The Regency may have been more stove than that house needed. I was often in shorts and T-shirt in 10 degree weather. This temp lasted around 4 hours and with the air control 90% closed and secondaries dancing like crazy. Fan on high for the first 30 minutes and then low for the rest.

The room is 10x20. The main living room, with wide open archways to the dining room and hallway. The Regency may have been more stove than that house needed. I was often in shorts and T-shirt in 10 degree weather. This temp lasted around 4 hours and with the air control 90% closed and secondaries dancing like crazy. Fan on high for the first 30 minutes and then low for the rest.
I would love to get this temp. My room is open on 800 sq ft and another part that is more closed at 400 sq ft. I have a second floor and I close the doors of the bedrooms to minimize cold air coming down That model is good to heat 2400 sq ft . Anyway, it is good to get all this information from different persons that run a slow burning fireplace. I am doing my tests today with an additional gauge, different wood and I will see what I come up with. I just hope my unit is not defective.

You will not get a high reading off a stove with a fan blowing on it. Let it get to temp before turning fans on.

Condar sell a fairly accurate gauge and they have a canadian web site

Condar sell a fairly accurate gauge and they have a canadian web site
Thanks for the tip but I just came back and I have bought another Imperial gauge which has a different system than the curled spring. I hope this one will give me a more accurate reading.

Thanks for the tip but I just came back and I have bought another Imperial gauge which has a different system than the curled spring. I hope this one will give me a more accurate reading.

Since when? Picture?

If you decide to give the condar a try, I found the two that I have are within 10f of my IR gun.
If you want to give an IR a try I have the Fluke 62 mini.

Let me know which Imperial you are trying and how it compares, I like to play around with this kind of stuff.

The thermo is fine where it is at, most of us take reading in same area. Just use a a reference, and keep your eye on the fuel load, that will tell you everything. Split in May probably is not ready to burn, or even close. Are you cutting the air back when the fire gets established? 4 hours sounds like air wide open, should be much higher than 350.

Will the temperature on the door be higher or lower then the stovetop?

Will the temperature on the door be higher or lower then the stovetop?
Not temp of the door itself, but of the stove body above the door, usually one one end or the other. And it may be lower than stove top.