Can I heat my garage....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isgtayana14

Dec 11, 2016
Ct
with the heat coming off the stove/chimney? I've been entertaining the idea of running a coil of copper tubing around the flu and have it run into the garage where I have a 2 car garage with 13 ft ceilings!!! I have two pellet stoves one in the basement and one on the main floor!! I have a hot tub aswell and would like to do the same idea to help lower the amount of time the tub runs!! Any advice would be great!! Thank you from CT

About the only time I have heard of a practicle use of what little heat that is radiated off the venting was to preheat water for a humidification system. I can't see enough heat being produced by a proper running stove to try and transfer it any distance.

I'll second bioburner's thoughts. There's not enough BTUs left in the stack to make it worthwhile.

You could get some heat off of the stack, but as the others have stated probably a tiny fraction of what you'd need to make a difference in a space with a 13' ceiling.

Some stoves have add ons that will allow heating water (much like the old coal and wood burning kitchen stoves). I've heard of others with mechanical skills fabbing their own to work for their specific stove.

But a 2 car garage, 14' ceilings. What's the cubic footage? 5000? That's a lot of cubes...

Better off searching for a nice use stove in the off season and clean it up for use. That's how I have a Hestia in the garage. It has a large hopper and big room fan. $400

Reactions: bags
with the heat coming off the stove/chimney? I've been entertaining the idea of running a coil of copper tubing around the flu and have it run into the garage where I have a 2 car garage with 13 ft ceilings!!! I have two pellet stoves one in the basement and one on the main floor!! I have a hot tub aswell and would like to do the same idea to help lower the amount of time the tub runs!! Any advice would be great!! Thank you from CT

Forget what would be a futile attempt to gain much garage heat from the flue ! I have a 35K pellet stove in my insulated rear workshop/garage (1-1/2 car size w/8 ft ceiling )and you would not believe how much heat the concrete floor absorbs. You would probably need a 50K+ stove to even think about heating a 2 car garage especially with 13 ft ceilings.

I heat an insulated three car garage with an old Whitfield stove, it takes about an hour to get it over 60F in there and it maintains low 60s on the lowest setting.

I can comfortably hold my hand on the vent pipe, There isn't enough left over heat there to do much of anything with it.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Status
Not open for further replies.