Can I replace Gas Fireplace w/ Pellet Insert ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim M.

Dec 31, 2012
Falmouth, ME
I've looked on the site and although there are some older threads on this topic I am not seeing anything new and hoping someone might be able to chime in.

Moved 1.5 years ago into new home in upsate NY. Home has a gas fireplace in family room, brand is "superior". What I gather is this is a very low tier gas fireplace installed by the contractor at time of construction, really not intended to heat so much as it was just a selling point that it had a gas fireplace. It is basically useless, does not throw any real heat .... seems quite inefficient as well as it can run all day long with no noticeable change in temperature to the house or room it sits in.

Can this be removed and replaced with a pellet insert ?? Gas fireplace is roughly 38" wide and 36'ish inches high. It is flush with interior wall with a bump out to the exterior of the house, into a chase and a vent about halfway up the chase.

Pics attached for reference ........

IMG_3722.jpg IMG_3723.jpg IMG_3724.jpg IMG_3725.jpg IMG_3726.jpg

Hello, is that propane or natural gas? If its natural gas, I'd get prices on replacing the unit..before going the pellet route..IMO

You can do it, but it'll day a full day to do the job
& it won't be cheap. You'll need to install a ZC box
to install the pellet insert into...

Something like this..

OK appreciate the feedback ........ I have been looking at that exact stove. Still on the fence .... nice thing about gas, it's always there I get natural gas right off the line from the street, unlimited supply (theoretically), needs no electricity to run. I just wish they weren't so damn uninspiring to look at - ontop of that the actual act of burning wood, the smells the heat, you cant argue the heat is better when burning a wood product. I've been considering just replacing with a newer more efficient gas stove but in the last three houses I've owned I've had wood burners in all of em either a pellet stove or a wood stove .......... gimme wood and fire.

Reactions: Ssyko
Insert something like this in the opening with a blower, totally understand the fire thing, wood, etc but,,

I've looked on the site and although there are some older threads on this topic I am not seeing anything new and hoping someone might be able to chime in.

Moved 1.5 years ago into new home in upsate NY. Home has a gas fireplace in family room, brand is "superior". What I gather is this is a very low tier gas fireplace installed by the contractor at time of construction, really not intended to heat so much as it was just a selling point that it had a gas fireplace. It is basically useless, does not throw any real heat .... seems quite inefficient as well as it can run all day long with no noticeable change in temperature to the house or room it sits in.

Can this be removed and replaced with a pellet insert ?? Gas fireplace is roughly 38" wide and 36'ish inches high. It is flush with interior wall with a bump out to the exterior of the house, into a chase and a vent about halfway up the chase.

Pics attached for reference ........

View attachment 274951 View attachment 274952 View attachment 274953 View attachment 274954 View attachment 274955
Hello Tim, I was wondering if you were able to replace your gas fireplace with the pellet insert. I am currently in the exact same situation, I just moved to Maryland and I have a drafty gas insert that is pretty useless, so I am considering a pellet stove. I'd appreciate if you could share your experience. Thank you.