Can I run 24 bar on Husqvarna 550 XP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm looking at Husqvarna 550 XP and see that the max bar listed is 20 inches. I so used to run 24 inches on my previous 357 XP. No bending for climbing etc. Can I run it on the new 550 XP. Listed as 4 HP, has 50CC.

If it is the same mount try it...
If it is too much for the saw get a skip tooth chain and try again.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'm looking at Husqvarna 550 XP and see that the max bar listed is 20 inches. I so used to run 24 inches on my previous 357 XP. No bending for climbing etc. Can I run it on the new 550 XP. Listed as 4 HP, has 50CC.
I’m running a 24 on a 257 cause I don’t like to bend over. I don’t bury the saw but 16 diameter is fine.

I have the 550xp.. I put a 20inch on it now and then.. it runs it fine, a 24 may be a bit much. It may bog a little.. The 562xp is a 60cc saw with 4.75 Hp and will pull the 24 with no issues.. I have both...I like the 550 as the saw I mostly cut with on the ground as its light and powerful with the 18 in on it.. When im working on a bigger trunk I use the 562xp with a 20 or 24..

IMO 24" is too long for a 550. The 550 doesn't make a lot of torque from its little 50cc engine and has to spin a lot of rpm to make the hp, which doesn't suit it well to pulling long chains. I have a 20" on my 550 and it works pretty good, but I cut mostly softwood and some birch, a 20" would be long in hardwoods. Another item is the chain pitch, the 550 comes with a .325" pitch chain, which probably makes it non compatible with your existing 24" bar.

Personally I think you should have a look at the 555, it would be better suited to a 24" bar, although it is 1.3lb heavier.

Depends on the size chain. Mine came with 16" .325 chain. I put a 3/8 18" on it and it does pretty good. My next chain will be a skip tooth to see how much difference there is. I wouldnt run anything more than a 20" with. 325. If you are just trimming to keep from bending over, a 24in will probably work.