Can I store a pellet stove outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

void7910

Jan 15, 2018
Kitchener, On
So odd question. I just bought an older Harman P61 (pre auto ignition) but will not be replacing my wood burner until the spring. Is it safe to keep the pellet stove in my (dry) garage, in sub zero Ontario temperatures?

If it was a wood burner I wouldn't be concerned, but with all the electronics in the new stove...not sure if the extreme cold or a bit of moisture in the air will damage them....

Thanks in advance

So odd question. I just bought an older Harman P61 (pre auto ignition) but will not be replacing my wood burner until the spring. Is it safe to keep the pellet stove in my (dry) garage, in sub zero Ontario temperatures?

If it was a wood burner I wouldn't be concerned, but with all the electronics in the new stove...not sure if the extreme cold or a bit of moisture in the air will damage them....

Thanks in advance
I have an Englander 25 EP installed in my garage, no problems for two years.

It will be fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as it is dry you are good to go. If there is a lot of moisture in the garage or damp I have heard of spraying the insides and everything metal with WD40. Remove the electronic board and bring it into the house. Just wipe it down and do a test burn outside when done. A good time to do any touch up painting if needed if you see any rust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No problem with the temps. If you've got mice around, might want to put some mothballs or dryer sheets in it and the wiring cavities. Mice really love chewing wires.

In winter you should have NO moisture issues inside the garage, unless your cars are parked in there with melting snow and ice. I like the hints of preventing mice from eating wires and things. WD40 is also a good idea, however you will definitely need to run the stove up to high temperature to burn it all off before bringing it inside. You do not want that smell inside the house.

Bill