Can I use a wood buring insert in Temco Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j77l

Jan 28, 2013
Bought a house and it has a temco fireplace in it (Premade from what I can tellwith an 8" pipe for the chimney, can I install an insert into this??
Also it appears the door Frame is mortarted in... not sure why.. need thoughts on removing this.. currently it does not create enough heat, since most of it goes up the chimney..
Thoughts???

Bought a house and it has a temco fireplace in it (Premade from what I can tellwith an 8" pipe for the chimney, can I install an insert into this??
Also it appears the door Frame is mortarted in... not sure why.. need thoughts on removing this.. currently it does not create enough heat, since most of it goes up the chimney..
Thoughts???

Can you find the Appliance Rating Plate? The info on that will tell us what model you have & whether it's feasible or if it's code compliant OR NOT.

If this manual applies to your unit, this line comes from page 16

20. WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TO
BE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THAN
THOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACE
INSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,
HEAT CIRCULATORS). USE OF THESE ITEMS
COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD

http://www.fireplacehrv.com/imtlc363.pdf

pen

Reactions: DAKSY
TFC42-4. it says do not use insert not specified for use with this product... anyone have an idea?

Rip it out and start new.

Reactions: DAKSY and pen
If it's in a bumped out chase, then the easiest way to get it out is from the outside. Not an ideal job for this time of year, especially if that chase has vinyl siding. It's an all day job to get the old one out & replace it with a more efficient EPA-rated unit & that's with a two-man EXPERIENCED crew. I would just suck it up & block it off for the remainder of the winter. Do your research over the next couple of months & spend some time reading posts in here. You'll figure out what's best for your situation & if you need more help or info, there's plenty of folks here to guide you...In answer to your question: There is no way to get more heat out of the existing set-up. It needs to be replaced.

is there any way to get more heat out of the current set up?? Ripping it out would require taking out the brickwork... alot of work... thoughts?

I doubt it, though a quick google says there are 'energy efficient doors' available. I tried such things on and open fireplace before and they sucked. In fact, I dropped a set off at the dump this past Saturday. Open fireplaces are mechanisms for heat loss in your entire home with the exception of a few feet around the unit. Might be a good idea to post some pictures so more seasoned renovators have an idea of what you're dealing with. Some ZC Fireplaces say it's ok to put an insert in them, but yours says otherwise and it's always a good idea to err on the side of caution. You could feasibly have the thing cut out and preserve the brickwork, but honestly if it's a ZC, it's probably just veneers and easy enough to replace pretty cheaply. Refacing it would be pretty easy using veneers or tile and easily a DIY project (just use legit mortar and not mastic with sand it it....don't trust HD or Lowes to steer you correctly either). There are some pretty good ZC rip outs and replacement posts on here with some pretty extensive pictures. Just make sure you have a permit and are doing things up to code so your Homeowners Insurance doesn't freak out in the even of something wrong. Or just hire someone and make sure they have a permit....my homeowners insurance requires professional installation/certifications on all combustion installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.