Can I use one thermostat for both my gas furnance and my quadra fire mt vernon pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haroetx

Hearth Supporter
Jan 26, 2009
North Texas
long time read first time poster....

I am building a new home - two story about 1990 sq foot - no basement.

I am putting in a an amana propane gas furnace with two zones - 1st floor and 2nd floor. The Mt Vernon pellet stove will be on the 1st floor in living room. The HVAC ventilation is designed with a return air vent in the ceiling of the living room. I would like to heat the entire house with the stove to save on the expense of propane gas.

Question - is it possible to control both the gas furnace and the pellet stove with the same set of thermostats? If not how would you suggest I configure the thermostats for the HVAC and the seperate thermostat for the pellet stove?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Using one thermostat for both units is not a good idea. Plan on separate thermostats.

FWIW, we had a propane furnace and pellet stove running for about 5 years. Both had independent thermostats. The furnace temp was set a bit below the the pellet stove thermostat setting. Worked like a charm.

BeGreen said:
Using one thermostat for both units is not a good idea. Plan on separate thermostats.

FWIW, we had a propane furnace and pellet stove running for about 5 years. Both had independent thermostats. The furnace temp was set a bit below the the pellet stove thermostat setting. Worked like a charm.
same here, works good

Status
Not open for further replies.