Quadra fire mt vernon- auto cleaning every 2 hours.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ggino

Dec 14, 2022
Pa
I have a Quadra fire Mount Vernon pellet stove insert that is 12 years old. I have never been impressed with the efficiency and heat output. Most recently I’ve noticed that my stove auto cleans every 2ish hours. This is becoming even more of a burden since I find the stove doesn’t get very hot in general. The shut down and auto clean takes about 30 minutes until it gets super hot again so the room cools down in the meantime which is one of the issues. I’ve gotten some feedback from some other professionals but they aren’t 100% sure. Some of them have said that it should not be shutting down and auto cleaning at all unless it has reached the set temperature in the room which it never does. How often should my stove be shutting down and auto cleaning if it has not reached the set temperature in the room? What settings can I have it on to change this and make the stove burn hotter?

The stoves auto-clean cyle, depends on what heat output setting it is on, and what fuel you are burning. For example, if you are burning on hardwood setting, and high heat output, the stove will auto clean every 2.1 hours. And if this stove isn't putting any heat out, it needs cleaned ! And what is the temp differential set at ? Should be 1* if you need heat sooner. What fuel table you are on, what heat output you are on, flame height adjustment(feed rate). Is the blower set on quiet or normal setting ? All this factors into how much heat you are getting out of this unit. kap

Everything is set on high high manual feed 5. It never reaches the temperature I haven’t sent out so doesn’t need to worry about reaching temp. What should my settings be what should my fuel typesetting be to maximize the time before auto clean because it gets cold in here and it shuts down every two hours?

If you are burning pellets, you should be on either hardwood setting, or utility pellets. Flame height adjustment is your feed rate. On high manual heat setting, the flames should be above the diamond on the baffle. Your temp differential should be on one. Is the convection fan set on normal, and not quiet ? How much area are you trying to heat, and has this stove been thoroughly cleaned from firebox, removing baffle and cleaning all the fins on heat exchanger, both holes at bottom of fins, entire exhaust to cap ? This stove is capable of putting out 60,200 btu's. Should heat 2'000 to 3800 sq. ft. kap

The stove has been thoroughly cleaned it blows very hot air but we have a 2800 square-foot house and it barely hits a 500 square-foot living room won’t get above 62° .Are you speaking from experience With Quadra fire?

Yes. I have an AE in my basement, and a Santa Fe upstairs in living room. I've worked on Quad stoves since 05. Did you check your setting on the convection fan to see if it was on quiet or normal mode ? kap

The stove has been thoroughly cleaned it blows very hot air but we have a 2800 square-foot house and it barely hits a 500 square-foot living room won’t get above 62° .Are you speaking from experience With Quadra fire?
Kap is the guru of the Mt Vernon AE. Very tough to troubleshoot unless you have experience with them and understand what makes them tick. motors being 12v DC are way different than the typical pellet stove motors