Can lights for the barn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
So I want some can lights for the first floor of the barn where the 2 car garage is. I figure 6 per side as I want to have the ability to really light it up. The first floor will be insulated after wiring. Second floor might be insulated at some point but not right now.

Anyway, can someone recommend and can lights that seal out the cold, hopefully that won't break the bank? Researching a little and it sounds important that they are air tight.

Do you mean recessed lights?
Many of the LED kits now days have great output with the smaller 4" cans. I think they even sit ontop of the drywall without a 'can'.

Just go to home depot and buy Halo IC airtight cans. They are cheap. Then the trim ring of your choice. The lights you use are the LED flood lights that will likely cost as much per bulb as the entire fixture but they are awesome.

I do not want to jack around with some proprietary, unique, non-Edison base LED bulb. The flood lights with reflectors put lots of light down.

Surface mount some fluorescent strip lights if you're worried about air getting past. They will give your more even light too than can lights.

Thanks guys I want a cleaner look so I think I'm going to go with the cans. Never had to install can lights completely myself. I was actually imagining permanent led lights but the screw-able bulbs sound better.

I'll probably get 12- 6 for each side and get the appropriate dimmer switches. Think Ill have 3 switches that should be enough. Think I'll set them up so I can light the front, middle and back of the garage, unless anyone has another "bright" idea. Oh, I killl myself... :p

I wouldn't spend any of my money putting dimmers in for my garage lights.

Hmm well I'm going to get the 100w equivalent lights aren't they super bright? I want them to blast light but not all the time...

Those will be some pricey bulbs. LED bulbs have gotten cheaper in the common sizes but not so much in the weird ones. For instance, I spend three times as much for 100 watt equiv standard bulbs for the porch lights as I do for 60 watt bulbs.

The standard 65 watt equivalent flood lights are over 10$ each. I hope you don't have to pay 30$ times 12 for bulbs!

In my shop I have the front half of the lights on one switch and one circuit, then a separate circuit and switch for the back half.

Oh and I love how the light bounces off of the white metal ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 144
Get the LED trims for the recessed fixtures. They will seal pretty tight to the ceiling, and are sealed, so they won't fill up with bugs. I put two in the cans on my front porch, I thing they were RAB lighting. A cheap IC fixture is probably $10, the trims are around $25.

Juno IC22 6" recessed can with these led trims at home depot.
The cans will be about 10 bucks a piece at your local electrical supply house, the trims are $25 each at depot.
Space them about 4' off the walls and about 6-7 feet apart in a grid pattern and you will have excellent light with no shadows or hot spots

Reactions: fbelec
6 per side? How big is this garage? 5/6 cans throw a 9' wide cone that should overlap a few feet. Agree with the halos, I just put in 5 myself, cheap and you can use any lamp you want. Think about your box space, dimmer switches take up more room.

Reactions: fbelec
We just installed some high bay LED light fixtures here at work. They are pretty incredible even 25' up. I was surprised to hear they are only $150 each. Of course we are buying 200 of them.

My garage has a 14' ceiling. I'm going to get a few and blast things up!

how many you put up will be different depending on the ceiling height of the garage. is this for a car or a man cave? another option and they are not to expensive is strip led fixtures. take a look at them at lowes. they can plug into each other so that you can make a narrow like 1.5 inch wide light. they come in 2 and 4 foot size. 4 foot is only 20 watts. very bright. just a thought. and they are neat and clean looking.

Are we suggesting LED to save electricity, or to save installation cost?

If you are willing to consider surface mount tube fixtures then regular old t8s are very cheap and almost as efficient as the LED.

Are we suggesting LED to save electricity, or to save installation cost?

If you are willing to consider surface mount tube fixtures then regular old t8s are very cheap and almost as efficient as the LED.

to me both. i priced single tube fluorescent 4 foot and bulb and single led strip and the led was cheaper by a dollar and 20 watts of power for the led vs. 32 watt for the fluo and the led was way brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.