Q&A Can stove switch from Natural Gas to LP in an emergency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am planning to install a Natural Gas stove or fireplace in my home. Could you burn Propane in an emergency, without changing the orifice? If this is possible, what else do I need to do to make it work? Regulator?

Answer:

You do need to change at least the orifice for such a switch. Some appliances are unable to switch - others need two orifices changed (the pilot and valve orifices).

Some units, like the ones from Travis Industries (https://www.hearth.com/travis) come with both orifices standard.

The regulator needed for LP is usually installed on the tank - not the appliance...although some LP-only appliances have a second regulator on the LP burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.