Can the heat shield go over/above my baseboard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LoganLofi

Sep 18, 2022
L'anse, MI
Getting ready to build my heat shield and am wondering if I have to cut my baseboard up to the hearth or if I can either situate the heat shield above the baseboard or over it? The baseboard is .5" thick and 3" high.

Can the heat shield go over/above my baseboard? Can the heat shield go over/above my baseboard? Can the heat shield go over/above my baseboard? Can the heat shield go over/above my baseboard?

It can start above the baseboard.
What stove is this for? Does the stove have the required clearances already? If not, does the manual permit and define the reduced clearance distance?

It can start above the baseboard.
What stove is this for? Does the stove have the required clearances already? If not, does the manual permit and define the reduced clearance distance?
Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, does it need to start 1" above the top of the baseboard, as if that was the floor essentially? It's a Vermont Casting Encore and it's too close to the wall to not have a heat shield based on the manual's specs.

The main thing is that the wall shield needs to be open enough at the bottom and top to allow the free flow of air to convect behind it. That is what keeps the wall behind it cool. If the wall shield starts 1/2" above the baseboard top and is on 1" spacers that should suffice.

Does the stove have a double-wall chimney connector pipe? What is the current distance from the wall?