Can wood sheds be too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Long before Google Earth, governments would take aerial photos every few years after the leaves are down. There is device that "blinks" rapidly between the images,. The changes that have occurred on the ground from one year to the next are very noticeable. I think the state of Maine used on this on waterfrontage lots to make sure folks didnt clear their frontage without a permit.
Google Earth is absolutely used by .gov. Years ago we dug a pond without a permit from the DEP. The owner ended up $140K lighter.

I'm thinking of building a simple woodshed 24x8x8 feet.

That's exactly the dimensions of my woodshed. 3 bays, and we burn 1 bay per year. I fill the previous season's bay with green wood each spring, and it dries just fine in 2 years / 3 summers. I did angle it to the south so it gets good sun and the prevailing winter winds don't fill it up with snow.

Things I would change:
  • I would use 2x10s instead of 2x8s for the beams. I thought I did the span calculations correctly, but the front beams do sag a bit when filled to the brim with green wood (mostly sugar maple and ash).
  • I would build it a little bigger. The constant lament of garages, sheds, and workshops :)
  • I would build it on level ground. Doing it terraced down the slope turned out fine, but was a pain to build and now means that the bucket of my tractor isn't level with the bottom of the woodshed when loading / unloading. The site has ledge right below the surface, so I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted it there... but in hindsight I probably should have moved it somewhere else.

Attachments

• IMG_7327.JPG
    IMG_7327.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 103
That's exactly the dimensions of my woodshed. 3 bays, and we burn 1 bay per year. I fill the previous season's bay with green wood each spring, and it dries just fine in 2 years / 3 summers. I did angle it to the south so it gets good sun and the prevailing winter winds don't fill it up with snow.

Things I would change:
  • I would use 2x10s instead of 2x8s for the beams. I thought I did the span calculations correctly, but the front beams do sag a bit when filled to the brim with green wood (mostly sugar maple and ash).
  • I would build it a little bigger. The constant lament of garages, sheds, and workshops :)
  • I would build it on level ground. Doing it terraced down the slope turned out fine, but was a pain to build and now means that the bucket of my tractor isn't level with the bottom of the woodshed when loading / unloading. The site has ledge right below the surface, so I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted it there... but in hindsight I probably should have moved it somewhere else.

Nice! I was thinking something very similar to yours! Except I might be lazy and simply use pallets as the floor, and make the roof slope flush with my ground slope(a little steeper than the slope actually, because the slope is not aggressive enough for my tastes with our snow potential. Alas, I have no level ground options that avoids our septic field and is in the sun.

I’m in western Washington and stuffed one bay which is half of my 10x20 shed tight with large split, green, Doug fir two years ago. Will burn it this year. The stacks are tall too, like 7 feet in front.

Even a light breeze blows all the way through 10 feet of wood. I think it’s 6 rows.

Good wood sheds have lots of ventilation and deep overhangs. You don’t need sun but a breeze sure helps.

My wood is up on pallets so no ground contact.

Sweet, glad to hear that works for you, as my wood density plans are similar.