can you buy a last years model ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand dealers who tell fabrications Simple Question. Can you buy a last years model with same emissions at this years model. Same stove same design. I don't care about tax credits income is non-taxable credit does me no good. several dealers say if I buy myself and dealer go to jail. WHAT??? Whats a dealer supposed to do with previous models I had a dealer say they have to scrap them lunacy.

Last edited:
Its very frustrating and I had a plumber tell me crap like that---something in the way of---if you do not get that it is obsolete and not good for permitting or something down the road.. can't really remember how the talk went but it was the same frustration your having with your last year emission question...I say the same thing--WHAT???...clancey

My best guess would be that if last years stove met the most current emmisions standards, it would would have been given the green light and you could buy it. It’s stinks that that impacts you specifically in this particular moment, no doubt. The new stove I bought in 2013 would have failed.
From a wider perspective,stove efficiency has made leaps and bounds in last few decades and this results in less wood needed and less crap in and out of the chimney. Doesn’t help you at the moment but either way, you’re going to get a nice stove that will will keep you warm.

Reactions: bholler
My best guess would be that if last years stove met the most current emmisions standards, it would would have been given the green light and you could buy it. It’s stinks that that impacts you specifically in this particular moment, no doubt. The new stove I bought in 2013 would have failed.
From a wider perspective,stove efficiency has made leaps and bounds in last few decades and this results in less wood needed and less crap in and out of the chimney. Doesn’t help you at the moment but either way, you’re going to get a nice stove that will will keep you warm.
According to specs both the Super 27 PE last year and the Super LE this year have the same emissions 1.8 grams and going though manuals are constructed exactly the same? when I quit burning 9 years Burned the same stove back then it was 1.8 grams "Smoke and Mirrors methinks.

DSCN0080.jpeg

I can't stand dealers who tell fabrications Simple Question. Can you buy a last years model with same emissions at this years model. Same stove same design. I don't care about tax credits income is non-taxable credit does me no good. several dealers say if I buy myself and dealer go to jail. WHAT??? Whats a dealer supposed to do with previous models I had a dealer say they have to scrap them lunacy.
Your dealer is correct. Dealers cannot sell stoves that were not tested and certified to the new standards using the new methods. Stove manufacturers and retailers knew this was coming years in advance.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Your dealer is correct. Dealers cannot sell stoves that were not tested and certified to the new standards using the new methods. Stove manufacturers and retailers knew this was coming years in advance.
Well if that's the case truly Government overreach at it's finest AGAIN

Reactions: Bad LP
Dealers can not sell phase 1 stoves now. That cut-off date was in May 2020. The dealers had a lot of advance warning and most sold off inventory prior to the change.

Last edited:
Its very frustrating and I had a plumber tell me crap like that---something in the way of---if you do not get that it is obsolete and not good for permitting or something down the road.. can't really remember how the talk went but it was the same frustration your having with your last year emission question...I say the same thing--WHAT???...clancey
Its true...not allowed to sell brass fittings/fixtures unless they are the new "zero lead" stuff...been like that for a few years now already...don't recall exactly what year that came about.

Dealers can not sell phase 1 stoves now. That cut-off date was in May 2020. The dealers had a lot of advance warning and most sold off inventory prior to the change.
Guess I'll get my chimney installed and shop used market

Why do you not want the Super LE model? The single emissions spec does not reflect performance gains over the spectrum of the phase 2 tests. If one is in the market for a new stove, why not get the Super LE? There are some differences in the Super LE including the addition of the EBT2 secondary control. IIRC there were some differences in baffle design too. It should be a cleaner burning stove and more efficient over a broader range of burning.

Reactions: SpaceBus
800.00 more for the LE same stove as last year unacceptable to me same exact stove baffles and floating firebox is same grams per hr 1.8 the same. why should I pay 800.00 more for a government privilege.

It is not the exact same baffle and the EBT system has been added. Stove prices have gone up regardless. It happens almost every year. Between the time I bought the Castine and sold it 2 years later the price had gone up $600. Call around to more dealers and see if you can find one at a lower price and keep on looking for a used one in good shape.

brenndatomu: don't know how to bring your posting forward and it was not like that for I would have understood that something more in the line of the ddown's posting but I cannot quite remember what it was just giving some example of what the man said: I do know that I hired him to put a water outlet in the front of my house and he buried it in dirt and how I found out was it broke in a cold snap and spray water all on the bottom of my house coming up into the living room. I quickly shut off the main valve but that is the type of plumber that I am talking about and the poster I can only say that I totally get what he is saying,,,His word was "WHAT"?---I totally get it,,lol clancey

Yea its tough for dealers with the whole 2020 cutoff. I feel like a lot of good models stoped getting produced as well. So finding a stove that you really wanted a couple years ago, that fit perfect. Say like a Jotul F400. Your only option is used or refurbished, if thats the stove that you need to have.
That being said, make sure to look over any used stove you buy, even if the seller says “refurbished” or “restored” there are many levels of restoration, ask for references, ask to see previous projects. Nothing worse then paying ~$1500 on what you think is a great deal on a 2 year old stove that cost 3500 new, but then find out needs $750 worth of parts +labor to get working correctly again.

So thats just my 2 cents.

Also keep in mind that a phase 1 stove cannot legally be installed after May 2020 even if you buy it used. Your inspector may or may not care about that rule, mine didn't.

Also keep in mind that a phase 1 stove cannot legally be installed after May 2020 even if you buy it used. Your inspector may or may not care about that rule, mine didn't.
That certainly isn't true nation wide. In some jurisdictions it may be I don't know.

Reactions: D. Hermit
You should see the condition of a 74 Defiant I picked up for a friend’s son at the crazy price of 200.00. Single piece rear is the downside but it was worth it to him.

Reactions: bholler
that was free market
The only difference was there was no sell through limit. Which was taken advantage of by less than reputable companies which is why they added a cut off sales date this time.

You should see the condition of a 74 Defiant I picked up for a friend’s son at the crazy price of 200.00. Single piece rear is the downside but it was worth it to him.
Yeah if you take your time you can find great deals on used stuff. I have never bought a new stove.

Its true...not allowed to sell brass fittings/fixtures unless they are the new "zero lead" stuff...been like that for a few years now already...don't recall exactly what year that came about.
I'm a big fan of government mandates that remove lead from drinking water.

that was free market

No, your old PE Super stove was a result of government intervention.

I'm a big fan of government mandates that remove lead from drinking water.
I can't argue that it doesn't sound really good...BUT, reality is that water lines get a coating that builds up on the inside after some time...at that point the water doesn't typically actually touch the pipe, unless the coating is disturbed in some way...heck, at one time it was very common to have lead water pipes bringing water to your house...I'm sure there are still some out there in some towns...so forgive me if I don't feel "rescued" by the EPA for getting rid of the small % of lead in brass fittings.
And even if you still have lead water pipes, its about contact time...so as long as you run the water to purge what has been sitting in the pipes for some time, it can't really pick up lead on a quick pass through a lead line, let alone just a leaded brass fitting or two.
I'm sure @Highbeam has some additional input on this one too...not that it has anything to do with the OP's topic. _g

I can't argue that it doesn't sound really good...BUT, reality is that water lines get a coating that builds up on the inside after some time...at that point the water doesn't typically actually touch the pipe, unless the coating is disturbed in some way...heck, at one time it was very common to have lead water pipes bringing water to your house...I'm sure there are still some out there in some towns...so forgive me if I don't feel "rescued" by the EPA for getting rid of the small % of lead in brass fittings.
And even if you still have lead water pipes, its about contact time...so as long as you run the water to purge what has been sitting in the pipes for some time, it can't really pick up lead on a quick pass through a lead line, let alone just a leaded brass fitting or two.
I'm sure @Highbeam has some additional input on this one too...not that it has anything to do with the OP's topic. _g

huh?
So you and your family volunteer to use new pipes (from before the mandate) so that others can use them after you when they are nicely coated...?

Lead, even when one is exposed to it in minute quantities, accumulates in mammals (and fish). Yes, with full lead pipes the exposure is higher, accumulation faster, and death sooner. However, I prefer not to have brain damage when I'm 70 years old.

And to go back to the OP's topic - were it not for EPA mandates, we'd all still be filling our stove every two hours, stinking up the air, and creating a nice tarry coating in our lungs (maybe that'd prevent exposure to lead inhalation... :confused:)

Status
Not open for further replies.