Can you fit a 8'' flue liner in any masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhoKilledBambi

Apr 15, 2018
Rural Québec
Hey guys!

Long time lurker here, first post obligatory hello!

2 winters ago i acquired a Quadrafire Explorer II as my first EPA stove. I really like it but now we're moving in a bigger house (2500-3000 sq/ft) with a smoke dragon in the basement, and some kind of very small VC stove on the first floor, the master bedroom is in the finished attic.

For now we keep the VC on the first floor, but i'm shopping for a new stove for the basement. I really want to try BK. I want to believe. I'm pretty sure there is no liner in any of the chimneys. My question is if i want to install a BlazeKing King in the basement am i 100% sure i can fit a 8'' stainless flue liner in any ''standard'' masonry chimney? Say it's one layer of brick and one of ''fire tiles''.

Also, any reasons to chose the Princess over the King? I would rather have the flexibility of longer burns times, read i don't want my wife to ever touch the woodstove when i'm not there.

Thank you,
WKB

Hey guys!

Long time lurker here, first post obligatory hello!

2 winters ago i acquired a Quadrafire Explorer II as my first EPA stove. I really like it but now we're moving in a bigger house (2500-3000 sq/ft) with a smoke dragon in the basement, and some kind of very small VC stove on the first floor, the master bedroom is in the finished attic.

For now we keep the VC on the first floor, but i'm shopping for a new stove for the basement. I really want to try BK. I want to believe. I'm pretty sure there is no liner in any of the chimneys. My question is if i want to install a BlazeKing King in the basement am i 100% sure i can fit a 8'' stainless flue liner in any ''standard'' masonry chimney? Say it's one layer of brick and one of ''fire tiles''.

Also, any reasons to chose the Princess over the King? I would rather have the flexibility of longer burns times, read i don't want my wife to ever touch the woodstove when i'm not there.

Thank you,
WKB
That depends what size the chimney is. If it is an 8x8 square clay liner no. Even if you break the tiles out you wont have any room for insulation. If it is an 8x12 you can go with an oval that will handle the required volume.

Last edited: