Can you have a wood stove on a second floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigoak95

Jan 10, 2019
Missouri
hello, I was looking into if it was possible to get a wood burning stove installed on the second floor of my house in a large bedroom. Is it possible to do so?

Only if you have a strong back...

That said, I don't believe code permits wood stove in bedrooms

hello, I was looking into if it was possible to get a wood burning stove installed on the second floor of my house in a large bedroom. Is it possible to do so?
No no woodstoves in bedrooms

I live in an extremely rural area and to my knowledge I don't think there's and codes against it. I meant more of a technical aspect with the height of the chimney etc.

I live in an extremely rural area and to my knowledge I don't think there's and codes against it. I meant more of a technical aspect with the height of the chimney etc.
Yes there are codes against it in missouri no matter where in the state you live.

Well that's truly a bummer. Thanks for the info.
Yes, you can have a woodstove on the second floor. You can also sleep in the second floor den. However, if you get a permit for the stove and for the conversion of a bedroom to a den, when you go to sell the place you will not be able to list that room as a a bedroom.

I have a rather large bedroom. It is 28X28, it has two doors to the outside, one on each side of the room. I am sitting on the bedroom couch as I type this. There is also a desk, coffee table and club chair. I have a Hearthstone stove in there too.

I would not recommend this route.
[

Reactions: bholler
I may be wrong because I don't know every states laws but I hear so often that "there's no codes where I live". Usually this comes from an uninformed person. While they may be correct that there is no specific county or city codes there usually is a state statute that falls back or has adopted national code.