Can you have too much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Duck said:
I believe thistle is right - you got Honey Locust, not Black Locust. It doesn't make a big difference in terms of BTUs, but I don't think Honey Locust has the same rot resistance as Black Locust.

Nope.It has moderate decay resistance,I've seen stuff outside last up to 7-8 yrs max before it started to get bad.About the same as untreated Red/Black Oak.If its mostly upright,that adds a few yrs,directly on the ground,shortens the life.

Thistle said:
Wood Duck said:
I believe thistle is right - you got Honey Locust, not Black Locust. It doesn't make a big difference in terms of BTUs, but I don't think Honey Locust has the same rot resistance as Black Locust.

Nope.It has moderate decay resistance,I've seen stuff outside last up to 7-8 yrs max before it started to get bad.About the same as untreated Red/Black Oak.If its mostly upright,that adds a few yrs,directly on the ground,shortens the life.

I knew we had locust around here, but I always thought it was black locust. But after you mentioned that, I took a look around and noticed that all the easy access locust that I know are Honey Locust and not Black Locust. How long does this stuff season vs. Black Locust?

chvymn99 said:
How long does this stuff season vs. Black Locust?

I think they are functionally pretty equivalent both drying and burning. Although, I've never had either around long enough to check rot resistance.

I cut some the bigger chunk in half to about 14 to 16" lastnight. Boy does that stuff have some pretty wood, some of the prettiest that I've seen.

Dang it Steve, you can't be wrestling any wood for a bit yet so it has to come to my place. I have lots of room here.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dang it Steve, you can't be wrestling any wood for a bit yet so it has to come to my place. I have lots of room here.
I knew that offer wouldn't last long, but oh well, it was worth a try. I love free wood!!! Just hard to come by :)

chvymn99 said:
I cut some the bigger chunk in half to about 14 to 16" lastnight. Boy does that stuff have some pretty wood, some of the prettiest that I've seen.

Some things you can do with Honey Locust besides excellent fuel.....

Attachments

• honeylocustfootstool40111.jpg
    honeylocustfootstool40111.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 286
  • large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 300
  • honey locust tool chest.jpg
    honey locust tool chest.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 327
tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I knew that offer wouldn't last long, but oh well, it was worth a try. I love free wood!!! Just hard to come by :)

I know I love free wood too! That's why I'm not able to turn such easy pickings.

Even when i feel overwhelmed i still for some reason still get the wood. its a fun addiction and good exercise

Thistle said:
Some things you can do with Honey Locust besides excellent fuel.....

That's beautiful. Gotta stop burnin the straight stuff.

Highbeam and Thistle, those are sure some pretty pictures you shared.

I would guess that the answer to OP's question lies not in how much you have, but how you're managing it. A pile like Highbeam's could stretch on into infinity, and continue to be a joy forever.

Examples of too much wood: this summer, I pulled my truck up next to some "too much wood" the PO had left on the property and cleared out piles that had been cut and left to rot. Much of it crumbled as I picked it up, and many insects departed with them. I was a little pissed, to be honest. Plenty of people out there who would have come and picked it up and made use of it, and instead PO hoarded, and I had to throw this stuff in the dumpster.

Wood that is brought home and never processed, and sits in the way as an eyesore and a reminder of work undone is too much wood.

Wood that takes over a small suburban lot, creating dissension in the ranks and depriving family of other uses of the place--gardening, kids' play spot, or just a quiet place to relax at the end of a day is too much wood.

Wood that is left sitting on the ground in an urban lot and becomes a haven for rodents of unusual size is too much wood.

My daughter's friend lives in the 'burbs, and one of her neighbors has wood in rounds stacked 6' high and several courses deep all around the perimeter of his lot. He's been working on that collection for years. We paused once after dropping off said friend, watching him stack more on top. You could see him just kinda swell up with pride as we stopped and watched, and my daughter quietly said, "He should have split that stuff before he stacked it. Look, it's rotting out." A mother moment. Too much wood.

I'm aiming for 15-20 cords put up by the end of this season--it's touch-and-go whether I'll make it, but I've got sufficient storage if I do, AND if I have it c/s/s, and stored in such a way that it will season instead of moulder away. If I lived on a half-acre lot in the 'burbs, that would probably be excessive. If I dump it in piles to rot, two cords would be too much.

Or so I see it.

Nice work Thistle.

Too much wood?
NO :)

drivin home just now from some Saturday errands when I passed nice fresh pile of bucked up logs apparently dropped past day of two by utility crews "post Irene" - I circled back and rang the bell to see if the homeowner would let me take but they are keeping for their fireplace - even though I am probably two years ahead I figured keep the stockpile growing - yes, this hoarding thing is addicting!

Llamaman said:
drivin home just now from some Saturday errands when I passed nice fresh pile of bucked up logs apparently dropped past day of two by utility crews "post Irene" - I circled back and rang the bell to see if the homeowner would let me take but they are keeping for their fireplace - even though I am probably two years ahead I figured keep the stockpile growing - yes, this hoarding thing is addicting!

It's only hoarding if you fill up your house with useless junk and never use it . . . as long as you keep the wood outside so you don't have to make paths inside your house you'll be fine . . . now if you have so much you're making paths to access your firewood outside . . . well that's fine too . . . although you will probably make many folks green with envy when they see how much wood you have hoarded . . . I mean stocked up on. ;)

It's not "too much wood" so much as it is "not enough wood stoves"
If you have too much of one then you need to increase the other until you reach a state of equilibrium.

I am only 4 or 5 years ahead on my wood pile and I get all kinds of bad comments from folks around here. They all used the old smoke belchers and do not understand what an EPA stove even is. I say cut it as it comes and find a dry place to put it after a season outside. I don't like to put green wood straight into a shed. I don't go out of my way to cut anything, but I get anything that is easy as soon as I can get to it.

jackofalltrades said:
I am only 4 or 5 years ahead on my wood pile and I get all kinds of bad comments from folks around here. They all used the old smoke belchers and do not understand what an EPA stove even is. I say cut it as it comes and find a dry place to put it after a season outside. I don't like to put green wood straight into a shed. I don't go out of my way to cut anything, but I get anything that is easy as soon as I can get to it.

Don't worry . . . here you are among friends who understand you and your needs. ;) :)

jackofalltrades said:

I answered a craigslist ad for seasoned wood the other day, good price, thought Id buy a cord since it was close. I went to the house and they had 4 cords of rounds, oak besides. I said thanks, but no thanks, thats not going to be burnable this year in my stove, or next year for that matter. They didnt understand and they still have the ad up. Maybe they'll find some smoke dragon burners.

firefighterjake said:
jackofalltrades said:

Don't worry . . . here you are among friends who understand you and your needs. ;) :)

+10 :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.