can you use a ventless LP log set in a free standing Franklin fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehouse

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2011
Upstate NY
This would be for an ambiance installation in a sun porch.

Hmm, yes and no....

If it were a tiny vent free and the firebox size and opening inside more than matched the specs given by the log maker, then it meets what the manual says - that is "for installation in any wood burning fireplace of x size or larger"......

The doors should certainly be removed for good and you still have to concern yourself with clearances.

That's my opinion anyway. Long ago some of the makers told us this was OK as long as it met the manual and listing. But if there is not enough room and air around them inside the box, they will overheat themselves and self-destruct.

Hmm, yes and no....

If it were a tiny vent free and the firebox size and opening inside more than matched the specs given by the log maker, then it meets what the manual says - that is "for installation in any wood burning fireplace of x size or larger"......

The doors should certainly be removed for good and you still have to concern yourself with clearances.

That's my opinion anyway. Long ago some of the makers told us this was OK as long as it met the manual and listing. But if there is not enough room and air around them inside the box, they will overheat themselves and self-destruct.

Thanx web. Also, a dummy stove pipe with blockoff plate, or just a cover for the stove opening would be required I presume.

I kinda doubt it, may be possible but vent free's are designed to dissipate based on free air, confined space could be an issue , the firebox would have to be sized properly for the gas set and the gas set would have to be able to "breathe" proper to prevent ODS shutdown, confining it in a firebox that's too small to allow such airflow might be dicey.

I kinda doubt it, may be possible but vent free's are designed to dissipate based on free air, confined space could be an issue , the firebox would have to be sized properly for the gas set and the gas set would have to be able to "breathe" proper to prevent ODS shutdown, confining it in a firebox that's too small to allow such airflow might be dicey.

Yea, I think the firebox is too small for the set, and also the clearances wouldn't work for the space. I was thinking about it because I have all the components. These old Franklins are hard to find a use for. My boat's not big enough to sport it for an anchor! Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.