Canadian needs more heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
House: 2000sq feet, 2 level, not very open, ok insulation, bad windows.

Looking for something that will give 12+ hour burn times, minimum, and that's available in Canada.

Low clearances would be best (as my regency f2400 is now installed which has low clearances, so would rather not have to move the pipe)

Budget would be under $2500 if possible (will be moving within a few years, stove will stay).

Thanks in advance :)

Moving it out of your sun room would help allot

It's not an option. We don't have anywhere else it can go. Too many window in other rooms/not enough space. The windows are triple glass and only on the front (has regular ceiling), and this year I might install heavy duty curtains for night time.

Perhaps invest the $2,500 into modifying your home to allow for the stove to be inside of the heated space. You would be amazed at what you can do with $2,500 if you do the work yourself. If the stove can't move, fine, make the sunroom an insulated space and then open it up to the house. Put a pair of French doors into your now insulated sun room right in front of the stove opening into the house (not outside) and now it is a great centerpiece to your home while improving performance. I also think you will need a new stove based on your threads about the door. Get a good chimney sweep or your local fire department can inspect it for you and determine if that is the case. Your local government might also have incentives or resources to help you get a new stove or insulate your house. They might even help you with an entirely different heating system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beary
As noted after the Regency was installed, what is needed is less heat loss and better heat circulation.

In Canada I would be looking at one of the big Drolets like the HT2000, HT3000 or Baltic II. Or a wood furnace or modern EPA fireplace that would allow heat to be ducted out of the sunroom space and into the main living space.

Perhaps invest the $2,500 into modifying your home to allow for the stove to be inside of the heated space. You would be amazed at what you can do with $2,500 if you do the work yourself. If the stove can't move, fine, make the sunroom an insulated space and then open it up to the house. Put a pair of French doors into your now insulated sun room right in front of the stove opening into the house (not outside) and now it is a great centerpiece to your home while improving performance. I also think you will need a new stove based on your threads about the door. Get a good chimney sweep or your local fire department can inspect it for you and determine if that is the case. Your local government might also have incentives or resources to help you get a new stove or insulate your house. They might even help you with an entirely different heating system.

The sunroom *is* insulated. The walls and ceiling are insulated, and the windows are none opening triple pane E-glass. There is no extra space to put this stove, without taking out the exterior (the sunroom was an addition to the house), so I'm looking for a recommendation on a larger (and not warped) stove, that will last me a few more years, until we move.

As noted after the Regency was installed, what is needed is less heat loss and better heat circulation.

In Canada I would be looking at one of the big Drolets like the HT2000, HT3000 or Baltic II. Or a wood furnace or modern EPA fireplace that would allow heat to be ducted out of the sunroom space and into the main living space.

Only 10 hour burn times, which I know really means more along 8 hours. I need 12.

Only 10 hour burn times, which I know really means more along 8 hours. I need 12.
If you need good heat output for 12 hours you need to look at cat stoves. But when you stretch out the burn time that long it reduces btu output. Which in the space you have the stove installed you need lots of BTUs due to the amount of radiant heat loss.

Thanks for the info. I don't know of any cat stoves, can you give me an idea of a brand?

Thanks for the info. I don't know of any cat stoves, can you give me an idea of a brand?
Blaze king and Woodstock. There are also hybrid stoves from many manufacturers including regency.

Slightly biased bc I have one.... But Pacific Energy Summit is a beast of a stove. No cat and burns 12+ no problem. I think brand new is also under 2500. Kick ass stove!!

Slightly biased bc I have one.... But Pacific Energy Summit is a beast of a stove. No cat and burns 12+ no problem. I think brand new is also under 2500. Kick ass stove!!

Thanks for the info. It states only up to 10 hour burn times, that's awesome if you're getting more. You usually never hear of that!

Why do you need 12 hour burn times? It’s practically impossible with a noncat unless you consider a couple of coals buried in the ash as burning. Just plan on starting a new fire when you get home to warm the place back up.

If you really actually need 12 hours of steady output then a cat stove can do that. In your price range I would recommend the Woodstock Ideal Steel. Or how about a large pellet stove?

There's no way...the HT3000 firebox is ~1/3 bigger than your Regency...that is a boatload more BTU's (110,000 VS your current 75,000) IMO if you burn through a full load in 8 hours, you will need to wait another 4 hours for the house temp to come down enough to re-load! !!! ;lol That's 12 hours effective burn time.
If you need more than that then you are in wood furnace territory...

Last edited:
There's no way...the HT3000 firebox is ~1/3 bigger than your Regency...that is a boatload more BTU's (110,000 VS your current 75,000) IMO if you burn through a full load in 8 hours, you will need to wait another 4 hours for the house temp to come down enough to re-load! !!! ;lol That's 12 hours effective burn time.
If you need more than that then you are in wood furnace territory...
Unless you consider the fact that most of the radiant heat off the glass will go right through the windows.

Or if her heat load is to high

Why do you need 12 hour burn times? It’s practically impossible with a noncat unless you consider a couple of coals buried in the ash as burning.
In milder 40º weather, like our typical shoulder season, we burn on a regular 12 hr cycle. House temps stays even, stove is about 250-300º at reload and there are plenty of coals for a restart. Do this for a couple months in fall and spring, every year. It's totally possible.

The big Drolet has about .6 cu ft more capacity than our stove. It can do 12 hrs. Of course one is going to see more like 8 hrs when it gets very cold. We have cat stove owners saying they drop down to an 8-10 hr cycle when it gets very cold too.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
Unless you consider the fact that most of the radiant heat off the glass will go right through the windows.

Or if her heat load is to high
Yeah...but the HT3000 would still be ~1/3 more heat than the Regency...or should be anyways.
Would think that triple pane windows would perform half decent...but I hear ya, way better heat retention if stove was able to be "interior" to the house...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yeah...but the HT3000 would still be ~1/3 more heat than the Regency...or should be anyways.
Would think that triple pane windows would perform half decent...but I hear ya, way better heat retention if stove was able to be "interior" to the house...
They do next to nothing to block direct radiant heat.

Right...but they don't go clear to the floor do they? Heck, maybe they do, I dunno...if that's the case, then sounds like a good place for one of those trifold self standing mirrors...or a series of precisely placed mirrors...send it back into the house! ;lol

Last edited:
Unless it's Low-e glass. Low-E glass has a microscopically thin, transparent coating that reflects long-wave infrared energy (or heat).

In milder 40º weather, like our typical shoulder season, we burn on a regular 12 hr cycle. House temps stays even, stove is about 250-300º at reload and there are plenty of coals for a restart. Do this for a couple months in fall and spring, every year. It's totally possible.

The big Drolet has about .6 cu ft more capacity than our stove. It can do 12 hrs. Of course one is going to see more like 8 hrs when it gets very cold. We have cat stove owners saying they drop down to an 8-10 hr cycle when it gets very cold too.

Your PE stove must be broken, I also own a 3.5 cf noncat and when it gets “very cold” can easily burn up loads in three hours! I don’t try for long burns with it but let’s be helpful to the OP, to expect “12 hour minimum” burn time from a noncat in her application is practically impossible. Even a cat stove that could dependably exceed 12 hour burntimes will only do it by burning at a medium rate which may not be enough heat.

And with that 2500$ budget I think I would be looking at help from the central furnace.

Reactions: bholler
Unless it's Low-e glass. Low-E glass has a microscopically thin, transparent coating that reflects long-wave infrared energy (or heat).
Yes i am talking about low e glass. Its quality varies greatly and even the best whlie much better than regular glass still lets allot through

Your PE stove must be broken, I also own a 3.5 cf noncat and when it gets “very cold” can easily burn up loads in three hours! I don’t try for long burns with it but let’s be helpful to the OP, to expect “12 hour minimum” burn time from a noncat in her application is practically impossible. Even a cat stove that could dependably exceed 12 hour burntimes will only do it by burning at a medium rate which may not be enough heat.

And with that 2500$ budget I think I would be looking at help from the central furnace.
Dead horse flogging again. You are heating a large barn up from a cold temp. That is nothing like keeping a house at a steady temp. If you read back it has been said already that her expectations are not all that realistic. The previous thread on this topic went into this in detail.