Canadian needs more heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Or if her heat load is to high
Tilbury On, they are surrounded by the great lakes and have a way higher heat load then us, the land around them is just a hungry battery once the lakes freeze over, totally different animal in heating then what most of us are use to in the lower 48.
I'd bring for consultation a builder / general trades guy to walk through the living spaces and see for minimal cost's (thinking headers for opening a wall, different doorways and padding off an upstairs closet for a class a chimney) making a minor change more within the houses envelope to make space for the stove inside the house, rather then heat from a sun porch.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Tilbury On, they are surrounded by the great lakes and have a way higher heat load then us, the land around them is just a hungry battery once the lakes freeze over, totally different animal in heating then what most of us are use to in the lower 48.
I'd bring for consultation a builder / general trades guy to walk through the living spaces and see for minimal cost's (thinking headers for opening a wall, different doorways and padding off an upstairs closet for a class a chimney) making a minor change more within the houses envelope to make space for the stove inside the house, rather then heat from a sun porch.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Her local government probably has some sort of incentives, rebates, or other aid to help folks not have cold houses. I know in Maine folks with "ok" insulation can get help.

If you really wanted to keep more heat in, I would build thermal shutters for the inside - for your windows in the sun room. Basically, you would need a couple of 4' x 8' sheets of rigid board insulation, some plywood, and neoprene lining. I would put two or more layers of insulation together (depends on how your windows are positioned in their openings). If possible I would have these thermal shutters go up and down instead of side to side - but both ways will work.

There were some monks (in Ontario, I think) who did this. They posted a video but since took it down. It worked really well. They have south facing windows. Not only were they not losing heat out the glass but they were gaining heat through the south facing glass and than not allowing it to leak back outside by closing the thermal shutters in the late afternoons. I was surprised - such an inexpensive solution that was so effective. Naturally, you have to be willing to open and close shutters on a daily basis.

If you really wanted to keep more heat in, I would build thermal shutters for the inside - for your windows in the sun room. Basically, you would need a couple of 4' x 8' sheets of rigid board insulation, some plywood, and neoprene lining. I would put two or more layers of insulation together (depends on how your windows are positioned in their openings). If possible I would have these thermal shutters go up and down instead of side to side - but both ways will work.

There were some monks (in Ontario, I think) who did this. They posted a video but since took it down. It worked really well. They have south facing windows. Not only were they not losing heat out the glass but they were gaining heat through the south facing glass and than not allowing it to leak back outside by closing the thermal shutters in the late afternoons. I was surprised - such an inexpensive solution that was so effective. Naturally, you have to be willing to open and close shutters on a daily basis.

We have four sliding glass doors on our south side and even just thermal drapes help immensely. Unfortunately our wood stove is aimed directly at one of the doors, but this is why I went with a long narrow stove with a small window.

Found it. Here is the Buddhist monk video. They are in Canada, too. The thermal shutter part is at the beginning.

Reactions: MikeK
Yes, that's a J A Roby Ultimate 2015. It's a big, bargain beast, not sold in the US much if at all anymore. It's not EPA approved. We had someone install one a few years back. It's a big stove. the firebox size is a bit exaggerated which is not uncommon. Usable firebox volume is less. The mfg. appears to be including the space above the baffle in the firebox volume. Ignore the peak BTU output, more marketing that is not a practical spec for daily use.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/j-a-roby-ultimate-stove-review.151049/

Last edited:
In milder 40º weather, like our typical shoulder season, we burn on a regular 12 hr cycle. House temps stays even, stove is about 250-300º at reload and there are plenty of coals for a restart. Do this for a couple months in fall and spring, every year. It's totally possible.

The big Drolet has about .6 cu ft more capacity than our stove. It can do 12 hrs. Of course one is going to see more like 8 hrs when it gets very cold. We have cat stove owners saying they drop down to an 8-10 hr cycle when it gets very cold too.

100% agree begreen....My PE Summit goes 12 hours every single day.... Up and filled at 3:15 wake up and refilled at 3:30 when I'm home. Yes the house drops a few degrees, but there is a full ash bed after 12 hours. Stove maybe around 200. Stove went out twice last winter for cleanings, that's it!

If I'm home on the weekend and it's cold, I don't drag it out to the full 12, more like 7-8, but it can absolutely do 12 hours!

In this instance you'd want your thermal drapes to have a reflective later sandwiches in the fabric. Some kind of foil.

Or, buy some foam insulation, cut to the size of the windows and attach foil to the inner facing side. This would have a drastic effect in bringing the windows r-value to near that of a regular wall while also reflecting all the radiant heat back. You could take these "foam shutters" out during the day and then slip them in in the evening or when company is not around, etc.

I'd look at the Drolet HT2000. Slightly less money, and I've seen it dip closer to $1k when Costco or TSC puts it on sale. Costco's regular price is $1599 delivered to your door and with a few accessories (fan, gloves, thermometer, moisture content reader, touch up paint, etc.). It sure seems like a lot of stove for the money and most people seem to like it. EPA certified so it's going to be presumably more efficient than the JA Roby. It's the biggest, non-cat, EPA stove available in Canada.

I'd look at the Drolet HT2000. Slightly less money, and I've seen it dip closer to $1k when Costco or TSC puts it on sale. Costco's regular price is $1599 delivered to your door and with a few accessories (fan, gloves, thermometer, moisture content reader, touch up paint, etc.). It sure seems like a lot of stove for the money and most people seem to like it. EPA certified so it's going to be presumably more efficient than the JA Roby. It's the biggest, non-cat, EPA stove available in Canada.
As I was just educated in another thread, the HT3000, which was previously recommended, would be another good alternative to the JA Roby stove. And as it's the "new' HT2000, there may be some good deals on the HT2000 come up.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Can you get englander products up there? I heat my 3100 sp.ft. house with good insulation with the Summers heat stove I would think you could get a good amount of heat from it, for how big of a house we talking about here you should be able to heat it with this stove. My main floor that has it is around 79* and upstairs usually is around 73* I get about 10hrs. on a burn and a non cat stove.

You can't move the stove at all? I mean is it a cosmetic thing like you don't want a big ugly pipe outside? If you're going to move why not just use the furnace to supplement heat until you move. I have fuel oil and go through $2500-$3500 if I heated only with that all winter. Just use the $2500 to supplement.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2400-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove/999918850

Last edited by a moderator:
That particular model Englander has not done too well for some Hearth.com members. The main issue has been warped doors.
I was one of them but I would buy where I could see the model and check it before it is loaded in my vehicle.

The OP appears to have had it with stove door issues. Her current stove is only a year old and it's had door problems.

The OP appears to have had it with stove door issues. Her current stove is only a year old and it's had door problems.

I bought my stove used. It never really worked that well, even with the new door gasket.

At which time the woodstove heats what is needed.

A pellet stove could heat the house from within the envelope. 95% of the time it sounds like a better option than the woodstove in this situation.

I got 2 large rooms to heat with my JA Roby Ultimate 2015… and it works! Right in the middle of the 2 rooms, I got a 2 access fireplace. Meaning that fireplace is accessible in both rooms and with my previous wood stove, even if it was heating, that middle fireplace would cool off both rooms. Now with the JA Roby Ultimate… both rooms are cozy even when it’s crazy cold outside and I can use that middle fireplace! I’m quite happy with this wood burning stove. Can’t wait for Winter 2022-2023!

4FE8F854-FBDC-48D2-BCD0-C4A5E632D6C2.jpeg