Candle power ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. So where does the heat go without the "quadcore" aka flower pot radiator. I would think that whatever btu's are given off from the candle, they are still in the room, with or without the quadcore radiator. With 30 of these I could get some real house heating. But it's still an unvented appliance.

Every time I turn on the TV it seems there's a story about a house fire caused by a candle.

BeGreen said:
Awesome. So where does the heat go without the "quadcore" aka flower pot radiator. I would think that whatever btu's are given off from the candle, they are still in the room, with or without the quadcore radiator. With 30 of these I could get some real house heating. But it's still an unvented appliance.

Probably all about wavelngths and distance from the emitter. The pot absorbs the shortwave, then re-emits it as longwave. The drywall at the edge of the room would do the same thing, except it would receive dramatically less energy, and likely never reach a point where it would readily re-emit. And if it did, at least some of the energy would be emitted through the far side of the drywall, into the studbay.

I could just imagine upgrading to a hundred or so of these around the house. Then I'd need a few thousand hives out back ot make the wax.

Steve

I never cease to be amazed by good creative advertising. Looks like the old guy has quite a set-up. I would guess almost 30 bucks worth of flower pots, bolts, nuts, and washers!

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
I would guess almost 30 bucks worth of flower pots, bolts, nuts, and washers!

Corey

Then its a bargain at the Low, Low price of $25.95.....

BUT WAIT!!!! (I'm sure there's more)

I think it's a good idea, but it needs improving on. There has to be a more efficient heat conductor than clay flower pots.

I would think copper inserts would heat quicker (maybe not)..... and then you would need something to hold a little more heat, like ceramic............but are we looking to "hold" heat or a way to rapidly conduct and magnify a small amount of heat source.

Looks to me like the latter would be more important.

Lets get started on this now, I'll be expecting some results and improvements on this project in the next few days, lets get those wheels turning. :)

Robbie

Robbie said:
I would think copper inserts would heat quicker (maybe not)..... and then you would need something to hold a little more heat, like ceramic............but are we looking to "hold" heat or a way to rapidly conduct and magnify a small amount of heat source.

No, that wouldn't be good. We all know, masonry can withstand much hotter temperatures the likes of which would melt metal. The masonry flower pots let us operate the candle at maximum combustion efficiency, and gently radiates it over time. A copper top, we'd have to lower the air once the candle was established to avoid overfiring. :)

I wonder how that would look burning away inside the insert / stove...

I was also going to ask what the BTU per ton of candle is as compared to hardwood and bio bricks...I better not... ;-P

velvetfoot said:
Every time I turn on the TV it seems there's a story about a house fire caused by a candle.

Does the fire dept. know about this? You need to stop turning on the TV. ;-)

Little known fact...that those are made by PE. :p

Warren said:
Little known fact...that those are made by PE. :p

Yeppers, Back at-ch bro. :p

Yep, they will do it.........the candle above could be used in a survival type situation where there was someone watching it every second.

And I think a copper heat absorber could be used to transfer the heat more quickly to the pots, or whatever you were using.

Robbie

It's a candle...nothing more...get over it.......LOL :cheese:

Same energy is liberated regardless of using flower pot or not (pot needs to be dry otherwise some energy is diverted to driving out moisture)........but, as an engineer I like the design for a couple of reasons that would normally prevent me from using candles: 1) many candles give off a lot of soot that collects on drapes/windows, etc but this design seems to trap the soot, 2) this design distributes heat using the "radiator effect" due to large stone-like surface and 3) the bottom clay base the candle sits in gives an added safety margin to collect wax and/or contain potential fire hazard.

Perhaps in a survival situation in a car. If my diesel gels up it'll be a) really really cold outside and b) inside, since the engine won't be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.