Cannot get fireplace to ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ljarrett

Apr 28, 2020
Columbus
Hello all!

Just purchased our first home, there is an Heatilator GNRC33 Gas fireplace, which for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the main ignition going.

I have the pilot light on, however this wall switch is something I've never seen. I've attached images. (Hard to see, but there is a small black lever that goes in 3 places, OFF, REMOTE, and ON)

The previous homeowner said they would just switch it to on, and it would work, but alas, not the case for me.

The box that pops out has 4 AA batteries, which I've replaced.

Apparently there is a remote control system for this as well, but I really don't care about that, just wanting to manually get it on.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 186
  • fireplace-switch.jpeg
    fireplace-switch.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 190
  • fireplace-switch2.jpeg
    fireplace-switch2.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 207
Let's see if the fire place is the culprit or the switch.
In the first pic, I can't see if the On-Pilot-Off knob is in the ON position.
Make sure it is ON.
There are two wires attached to the right side of the Gas valve with female Spade connectors.
Take a small piece of wire, or a paper clip or something metallic & "jump" those two terminals.
Does the unit fire up?

Let's see if the fire place is the culprit or the switch.
In the first pic, I can't see if the On-Pilot-Off knob is in the ON position.
Make sure it is ON.
There are two wires attached to the right side of the Gas valve with female Spade connectors.
Take a small piece of wire, or a paper clip or something metallic & "jump" those two terminals.
Does the unit fire up?

Thanks for the reply, yes the knob is set to ON. Sorry for the ameatur question, this is my first fireplace, where exactly would I be placing the paperclip to 'jumpstart' the terminals?

Look to the right side of the gas valve.
There are 4 wires attached.
Two are held by screws.
Two are on Spade connections.
Jump the Spade connections.

Look to the right side of the gas valve.
There are 4 wires attached.
Two are held by screws.
Two are on Spade connections.
Jump the Spade connections.

Hey Daksy!

I'm back with an update, I had a technician take a look at it, he replaced the Pilot Assembly, because he said there wasn't enough electricity going through it to ignite, however still wouldn't come on. He left and said he would have to replace the valve.

However, for my own curiosity, I put a lighter to the center (with the wall switch on) and to my surprise, it lit, but very small blue flames. I read online that it could be too much air, so I limited the air shutter intake to 1/8, and this is what I have now, any idea why the flames are still pretty small? Thanks for any help you can give!

YouTube Video Here

Small flames = low incoming gas supply.
Could be the valve. Could be a blockage or restriction in the gas line. Could be behind the burner orifice.
What "electricity" (millivolt) reading did he get? Did he try adjusting the pilot flame to increase millivolts?