Q&A Cannot light natural gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a natural gas fireplace. Sometime ago I turned it off, including main gas supply. I tried to relight it, following all instructions. The pilot light is fine but, upon releasing the knob after 60 seconds, it dies. The main flame does not light up. Why? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer:

The pilot flame hits a sensor called a thermocouple. This thermocouple heat up and generates a small electrical charge. This charge open a magnetic valve inside the gas control and allows the gas to come through.

Chances are good that either:

1. The thermocouple needs replaced
2. The connection where the thermocouple meets the valve needs cleaned and/or tightened.
3. The pilot flame height needs adjustment.

Your gas professional can easily perform these task

Status
Not open for further replies.