Q&A Cannot light natural gas fireplace

QandA Posted By QandA, Oct 5, 2001 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    I have a natural gas fireplace. Sometime ago I turned it off, including main gas supply. I tried to relight it, following all instructions. The pilot light is fine but, upon releasing the knob after 60 seconds, it dies. The main flame does not light up. Why? Any suggestions would be appreciated.


    The pilot flame hits a sensor called a thermocouple. This thermocouple heat up and generates a small electrical charge. This charge open a magnetic valve inside the gas control and allows the gas to come through.

    Chances are good that either:

    1. The thermocouple needs replaced
    2. The connection where the thermocouple meets the valve needs cleaned and/or tightened.
    3. The pilot flame height needs adjustment.

    Your gas professional can easily perform these task
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page