Cannot move heat level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

libirm

Jun 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have replaced the daughter bd recently, wear through the heat bottom. I had this problem once before and found sound wires on the mother bd had come lose ans rested on the fan motor, wore through the insulation and I assumed shorted out the bd. However after a taped up the wire and zip tied it up, all operated fine.
That was last season by the way.. This season worked fine until this week. Same problem- stuck on lowest setting, will not move up.
1- Unplugged the stove 3 or4 times- did not solve the problem
2- removed daughter bd- blew it out and cleaned switch with a little contact cleaner- reinstalled, dod noot solve the problem
3- Tried to isolate the problem by waiting for stove to heat up- then tried moving the feed to see if it would move up or down- it moved down once but stopped. Tried moving it again a few times and finally to began moving again.
4- tried moving the Heat level and it moved up- I stopped there ( @ # 2)because I was afraid that it would get stuck in a there as well.
My conclusion is that is not the daughter bd- but maybe a lose or bad connection on the mother bd.

Or my worst fear a bad or about to go bad Mother BD- they are expensive.
Has any one come across this problem before?
Any advise would be appreciated~

First advise would be. Tell us what stove you're talking about.

I have had my stove lower itself randomly at times. It doesn't happen often, but it does do it. The buttons on mine are also worn down but still working and I keep it on a remote thermostat. Last time the stove refused to hold a heat level, I had to unplug for a few hours and hope that that would reset the main board. It worked, but I am not sure why.

I would say double check for the obvious things like messed up wires and loose connections. If you want to get more involved, take out the boards and look for burned connections or bulging capacitors. Maybe snap some pictures of the numbers on the boards and go looking for them online (remember to unplug the stove and ground yourself when handling the boards). I remember seeing a post by another member that found the company that makes them. If I find it, I will post it.

But first I would unplug the stove for a few hours, let it reset and see what happens. I would also check the voltage on the outlet to make sure nothing is off. Are you on a surge protector?

Thanks Vinny

I have tried unplugging it as you suggested, it did not help, it is plugged into a surge protector.

Oddly enough I got the heat level "unstuck" by trying to move the feed & trim buttons- not sure how long it will last but for now I leave it at "2".

If you can find that thread that would be great. I remember Lake Girl saying something about a guy who repairs them, i think.

Ltr
PB