Can't Clean My Chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bryan Revling

Nov 11, 2018
Hanover Park, IL
I have a Lopi Rockport wood stove. This will be my third winter. After my first winter I had a professional recommended by the seller / installer come to clean my chimney. When he couldn't clean it from inside the stove he disassembled the stove pipe damaging it in the process. So, this year I contacted and different professional, told him what I had. He said no problem and gave me a quote. When he came out he said it would require a scaffold to clean it from the outside and more than doubled his price. Is there a way to remove the catalyst and clean it from the inside? Or suggestions on working with an approximately 10' high double wall stainless steel chimney pipe safely? Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Calling @webby3650 . Sooteater up the bypass?

I don’t see any reason it couldn’t be cleaned through the bypass with a rotary cleaning system. If the stove has a bypass, there’s no reason to clean it from above. Besides, removing the stovepipe and cleaning from below is always an option too, no need for scaffold...

From the schematic in the owner's manual it's a strait shot up the pipe from the bypass, but if you've got two bends to go up then out that can be tricky. Plus, how do you clean all the crap that falls down on top of the bypass ?
If you have any horizontal pipe you almost have to take it apart. And I've bent an elbow, it happens.

Good point. We need more details about whether this is a straight up install or out the wall. I was thinking the area around the bypass might be cleanable with a flexible tube taped onto the vac hose.

It is straight up through the roof, no bends. When it's cool I'll look at the bypass. First guy couldn't get his brush up there but who knows. Was just on the roof. It's only 8' high with a union at shoulder height. I think I can pull the top off and clean it from there. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Take a look at the Gardus Sooteater. It will go up the bypass. Several people are using this to clean their chimneys. It doesn't take long, you just need to be thorough.

That's how I do my top down cleaning. From the roof I take off the top 4' section. That section and the cap I clean on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: webby3650
That's how I do my top down cleaning. From the roof I take off the top 4' section. That section and the cap I clean on the ground.
This is a very common way to clean one like this.

From the schematic in the owner's manual it's a strait shot up the pipe from the bypass, but if you've got two bends to go up then out that can be tricky. Plus, how do you clean all the crap that falls down on top of the bypass ?
If you have any horizontal pipe you almost have to take it apart. And I've bent an elbow, it happens.
Bends make no difference if I’m using a rotary cleaner. I can go through a Tee, a 90 and into the stove. Then send it up to the cap, even if there are multiple offsets. The stove pipe should never be installed in a way that prevents you from pulling the pipe up to clean around the bypass or baffle areas.