Can't control fire anymore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think you found the problem - the ashpan door gasket is not sealing right.

I just had a similar issue with my Palladian with an uncontrolled fire and it turned out to be the ashpan door gasket slipped out from the channel.

I only hope I did a good job replacing it. I'll find out tomorrow after letting the cement cure til tomorrow

If you used Rutland gasket cement you can light a fire after 2 hours.

Reactions: Burnmeister
Well put the gasket around cat had no effect in controlling the fire. It seemed loose when I did it. I didn't expect any change. Yesterday took it apart again and sealed around it with fireplace caulk. Still not much of a change . Got to be a air leak I can't find. With the fire burning I have taken a piece of incense to see where it might drawling smoke but didn't see any leaks. Beside replacement what's next?

Like Wood Stover said, you should do the dollar bill test on the loading and ashpan doors. The gaskets might be good but what if the doors are warped?

Incence/smoke tests also might catch this problem.

Welp, back here again.

Running the stove right now with the air all the way closed, but Im still watching the temp creep up.
I had the air backed off from closed at about 475-500°. Saw fire getting bigger so I closed it. Kept getting bigger and now Im almost at 700°. I cant keep doing this. Calling stove shop tomorrow.

Well put the gasket around cat had no effect in controlling the fire. It seemed loose when I did it. I didn't expect any change. Yesterday took it apart again and sealed around it with fireplace caulk. Still not much of a change . Got to be a air leak I can't find. With the fire burning I have taken a piece of incense to see where it might drawling smoke but didn't see any leaks. Beside replacement what's next?
I fear the fireplace caulk (furnace cement?) around the cat will not last long; It will crack and fall out. Yes, the proper interam gasket will seem undersized, but it expands when heated to fill any gaps and seal around the cat. Wrap the gasket snugly around the side of the cat at the bottom, then secure it in place with a piece of masking tape, which will burn away later. You can buy bulk interam gasket for about $3 per foot. I just bought a roll of it to have it on hand.
But the interam gasket is not going to fix your stove's burning too fast. Like webby said, air is entering the box somewhere. You might be able to see flames inside the fire box, coming from a leaking seam where the oxygen is igniting the smoke.
As I said, check both door gaskets, ash door gasket, glass gasket and bypass door gasket. Is the bypass door camming down as it should, firmly snapping into the locked position? Can you feel the gasket compressing as it cams down? If I remember right, when you have the top off you will see a retainer clip or something holding the bypass rod in place. You remove the retainer, then slide the rod out, then you can remove the bypass door to see the gasket better, or replace it. But as I said, only gaskets sealing exterior openings can let air into the stove. The bypass gasket cannot, but you want that gasket in good condition to get the most heat out of the cat.
Hmmm, the ash pan housing itself isn't leaking air, is it? Loose bolts where it fastens to the bottom of the stove?
You'll have to go over every inch of the outside of the stove with the incense stick while it is burning and find out where the box is pulling air..