Can't get my Morso to burn well!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterM

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
UK
Hi to you all from a newbie!

Just fitted a Morso 1412, lovely little stove. But really struggling to get it to burn well - temperature on my flue thermometer rarely goes above 100 deg C and if so only slightly.

For info it is fitted with a double insulated 6" 904 liner which is about 9 meters, Leca insulation (only a half bag as had great trouble getting it in!), back exit from stove into a T piece, 1 foot stove pipe in 5" to a 6" expander above register plate. Confident the liner is the right way up! No reason to think I have any leaks or sharp curves.

It lights easily with both vents full open, once it's up and running I close the bottom vent. Burning wood just now which I believe is well seasoned. Not got a moisture meter. Yet, hoping Santa will bring one! Was trying to burn stuff that was too big initially so have reduced the size of my fuel.

But I have to leave the top vent open all the time and I've noticed that if the door is open a crack it instantly flames up much better. Close the door fully and even with top vent open eventually a well burning piece of fuel will slowly burn down and go out. Am I looking at a draw issue?

Apart from getting some kiln dry wood to prove the wood is the issue, or not, my only thoughts are;

Might I be drawing air from the T piece bottom access cap. At the moment it is just fitted in place but not sealed with fire rope or similar.

Liner terminates at the bottom of my chimney pot on instructions of the fitter (he wanted it 18" below top of pot height but it wasn't possible, pot height is about 10"). I thought liner should terminate half way up to, or full, pot height?

Some bricks fell down when we were fitting liner, if it were dented would it be affected?

Any other comment welcome,

Thanks,

Peter

First of WELCOME. I hope Santa gets you that mm. Good to have.

It sounds like one of 2 things, either wet wood, (yes try kiln dried to check that) or bad draft (I think that is what you mean by draw).

What is the chimney pot? The liner should run up to the cap.
How tall is chimney?
What is size of Chimney (6x6, 8x8, 4x10)
How tight or drafty is the house?

I'd run a 6 inch brush through the liner, confirming those falling bricks have not badly dented the liner. Also, how far above the roof peak does the liner go? To the pot cap, mine is just fitted and all works well. If your house is super tight you may need to bring in fresh air to feed the stove though I see that the manufactures website says no OAK available.

It seems you've met all the manufacturers requirements with the approx. 20 ft. x 6 inch liner so confirm it (the liner) is fully open.

Next, try the super dry wood. You have a small firebox there, split wood small to facilitate.

rgds.

OK so pot is same as cap.

If wood is dry, sounds like a negetive pressure issue, try burning (as experiment) with window open see if that allows full burn of fuel. If so then that tells you it is a draw or draft issue. Now how to address the issue? If no OAK is available, which would be the first and best solution, then you may an issue. Some people more capable than I can perhaps help you design a custom OAK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.