Carb Cleaner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You talking something like sea foam? startron?

You looking for just general maintenance or are you hoping to clean the carb to solve a problem?

Like Hot gas or another injector cleaner additive? More info needed I think.

I put seafoam and Motokote in every once in a while. Just a little with a fill up. I have never sprayed carb cleaner into the gas though

Read the bottle, as long as it does not forbid use in 2-cycle engines, have at it.

Curiosity is getting the best of me, what is it you want to add and why?

Reactions: ScotO
Well, it will start and run perfect, but after awhile, will sputter and stall. It has a new fuel line and filter.It did sit in a garage for many years.I dont feel like doing a carb rebuild, but may have to

Save yourself the grief and rebuild that carb. you'll probably find that the fuel line and impulse line will need some attention, too. Thanks to the wonderful additive in our fuel we all know as Ethanol, fuel will continue to be worse and worse on our OPE. Carb overhauls are very easy, very inexpensive and will make a world of difference on a hard-to-start or run motor....

Make sure the tank is venting properly too.

Are you certain it's not losing spark once warmed up?

Well, it will start and run perfect, but after awhile, will sputter and stall. It has a new fuel line and filter.It did sit in a garage for many years.I dont feel like doing a carb rebuild, but may have to
Doesn't sound like it needs a carb rebuild.

Are you certain it's not losing spark once warmed up?

+1 Check spark immediately after it dies.

Make sure the tank is venting properly too.

Yup!

If spark checks out, open the fuel cap. If you hear it hiss, like opening a bottle, then you're vacuum locked and most likely have an issue with the tank vent. If that's the case, or you don't hear that hissing sound, you should be able to restart the saw once you have vented the tank by opening and re-closing the fuel cap.

Still no luck? Then start looking into fuel line (pressure test, visual inspection for cracks), impulse line, or carb diapragms. But I have a strong suspicion you'll get it solved before you get to this point. ;)

I would stay away from startron its real hard on exhaust seats. Seen several new (500 hrs or less) with burned exhaust seats. Only thing we found in commen was the owners were using that particular additive. Different size and types of engines. One honda eng was so bad it took two full turns of the adj. nut to get the valve to seat.
Do chek spark once it cuts off coils are bad about that a small crack spreads as it gets hot and quits firing or fires intermitantly.

Larry

Is there crap in the screen in the carb? Might be worth looking there.

Basically, there is NEVER a good reason to run crap through your saw's carb. Fuel-oil mix is all it ought to see, period. If it isn't running right, find the problem and address it; a fix-in-a-bottle is not the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.