Carbon Monoxide Detector went off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDabate

Sep 14, 2008
Ellington, CT
Hello,

I have a Carbone monoxide detector a few feet over from my EKO 25, installed in the basement. The detector went off two times.

Once, the first few times of operation (I left the bottom chamber open).

Second time was when I was burning wood that has only been season for about 6 months. (I know, I know.........shouldn't have done that).

Is that a normal occurrence for these carbon monoxide detectors or should I be worried?

hummmm Off hand I'm inclined to think the detector is way too close to the boiler...but this is CO we're talking about. Is this a combo CO and smoke detector cause then yes it is too close.

Go over the CO detector instructions again for guidance on placement with a wood burning device. Call the 800# if you can't recover the directions. Call the non emergency service # at the local fire dept for advice. Maybe call a wood boiler service rep etc. Do whatever it takes resolve this issue to your satisfaction asap.

None the less, anytime a CO detector goes off you need to get everyone out of the house and call the fire department. They will help to see where its coming from and how much, because really you don't know how bad it is... CO is odorless and colorless, and if there is enough in the air it can potentially kill you within 30 min... better to play it safe.

If memory serves me correctly most recommendations for placement of CO detectors recommend placing them approximately 15 feet away from the most likely source for CO . . . I believe this may be recommended to avoid false alarms. Check your CO detector manual and move the detector if needed.

In other news . . . my wife comes from Ellington . . . in fact her Mom still lives there, her Dad is buried in the town cemetery (Frank Blank) and her brother lives a few towns over in Stafford Springs -- which has a great pizza place in town . . . gotta love CT/NY pizza.

How exactly do you get a false positive from a CO detector? Smoke, ya, but CO? I was under the impression that if the CO goes off, get out until its checked and cleared by the FD. Personally, I wouldnt take a chance with CO. Our basement smoke/co is only about 5 ft from the furnace, and we've had maybe 3 times this year where the smoke went off because of rollout.

If there is CO filling the room (and house), I want to know about it as soon as possible!

EDIT> Just had a thought. I know someone asked if ti was a combo. Well, if it is than do you know that you are getting a CO alarm or a smoke alarm? Mine has 2 different sets of pulses. 3 long pulses, pause, 3 long pulses, etc for smoke, and 4 short pulses, pause, etc for CO. Check the manual to see what yours does.

Mine went off a few weeks ago when I let the fire go out due to warm weather. It was about a day later and I thought all the coals were cool. I forgot to open the air controls to clear out all the heat and CO. It registered almost 100 ppm. I opened all the doors and windows to clear the room.

We have a plug in type CO detector and it is a giant PITA. It goes off when slightly jostled (probably 'cuz it momentarily loses power) and it is really difficult to reset. It has gone off on days when there could not possibly be an actual build up of CO, 'cuz it was 80 deg (F) outside and we doors and windows open, fans going, and (of course) no heater or FP going (and the water heater is outside, so not a source). I am not impressed.

Can anyone recommend a good CO detector that won't have false alarms? Preferably not hard-wired.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have one at the office with a ppm readout and it went off.
gas heat

battery was nearly dead

I run co alarms all the time and they give a lot of false readings. But that is not for you to decide I use a night hawk alarm in my home and at the firestation and have had the least amounts of false alarms with these units. If I go into a house and a nitehawk has a co reading on it chances are there is a problem. Remember co is given off from products of combustion so your smoke from your boiler will set it off.

Read here and please be safe..... http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

I am not a salesman for this product I just know they work!!!

Rob

Instructions with my unit said put it 15 ft away from any likely source of CO. Hanging one right over a boiler is going to result in a false alarm or two until it's moved.

Mine is waist high, ten feet from the wood/coal boiler. Only time it's ever registered anything was when I start the ATV and drive it out to plow the yard. Gets to about 75 ppm... I've never seen anything on it from the boiler.

taxidermist said:
I run co alarms all the time and they give a lot of false readings. But that is not for you to decide I use a night hawk alarm in my home and at the firestation and have had the least amounts of false alarms with these units. If I go into a house and a nitehawk has a co reading on it chances are there is a problem. Remember co is given off from products of combustion so your smoke from your boiler will set it off.

Read here and please be safe..... http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

I am not a salesman for this product I just know they work!!!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.