Carolina Wood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
In several topics, I've ranted and warned about Carolina Wood Pellets. I just get back into my supply of them to try to use them up this winter. Here is a VERY TYPICAL bucket full of their pellets. Nothing is staged or rigged. This is what I find in every bucket full from top to bottom. If they make it up the auger and down the chute, they burn with very little ash but also very little heat!

Attachments

• tn_IMGP0390.jpg
    tn_IMGP0390.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 215
  • tn_IMGP0391.jpg
    tn_IMGP0391.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 220
The truckload of Kentucky Kernals we purchased out of Louisville were that long also. We saw several instances where the stoves would stop burning and turn off because the pellets would not drop into the auger.

Some stoves will tolerate long pellets, others won't. My P-38 Harman does not like them yet my Whitfield and Harman Accentra burn them with no problems.

Any other pellets available in your area? We use Somersets now and they are outstanding!

tjnamtiw said:
In several topics, I've ranted and warned about Carolina Wood Pellets. I just get back into my supply of them to try to use them up this winter. Here is a VERY TYPICAL bucket full of their pellets. Nothing is staged or rigged. This is what I find in every bucket full from top to bottom. If they make it up the auger and down the chute, they burn with very little ash but also very little heat!

tjnamtiw, I had the similar problem with O'Malleys last season. I found to get them to put out heat is to grab a bag and sit there and snap every pellet you can to about 1/2 inch long. Its a royal pain. But if you wouldn't mind doing a test to see if they give you more heat that way? and a report back too!. Just curious! :)

Yes, I've switched to Greenway's and they are no longer than about 3/4" max with most 1/2" or less. Really nice. These CWP's taught me about bridging at the chute and I lecture people here to check that as a possibility every time I see a post about not starting or finding the call light on but no fire. When I switch over I go from fully 'closed' to fully open on the feed gates. 'Closed' really isn't closed though.

I've found some 4" long and sent them to CWP but never heard a word.

As far as snapping them, NO WAY COULD I DO THAT! In that one bucket, there are probably hundreds of pellets over 1 1/2". I couldn't keep up with the stove! They just plain suck. I'd rather deal with the bridging when it happens.

Those look like my AWF's. I bought 2 bags of American Wood Fiber from a local dealer near me. Short pellets (none longer than 1") decent heat. So I decided to buy a ton of them from TSC here in ohio and they too are as long as my finger. Don't know if its a "Different batch" or what.. But I still have 35 bags left. Not a fan of 2"-3" pellets!!

Another member suggested I try setting the bags on the floor and walk all over them. Never tried it. I just dump them in. I only did a batch of breaking them up to see if the heat would improve. It did. So I just burn them in the shoulders. Thats why I still have about 16 bags left. I do a little jig once the last bag gets tossed in.

Try the "pellet bag boggie" maybe it will help? And might even get a few winter pounds of the frame too! :cheese:

Those look like a ton of Nations choice I have. J-T you are right they burn alot better if you break them up. I pour them in the hooper and break them up until I get tired of it, even my son helps me. Every time I walk by the stove I stop and break a few, you can never get them all but every little bit helps.

Maybe I can talk my 9 year old into thinking its a new kind of dance. (Pellet bag boogie) LOL!! Just to get rid of those 35 bags of AWF's.

j-takeman said:
Another member suggested I try setting the bags on the floor and walk all over them. Never tried it. I just dump them in. I only did a batch of breaking them up to see if the heat would improve. It did. So I just burn them in the shoulders. Thats why I still have about 16 bags left. I do a little jig once the last bag gets tossed in.

Try the "pellet bag boggie" maybe it will help? And might even get a few winter pounds of the frame too! :cheese:

Maybe I could hang them up in the garage and put the boxing gloves on for a little workout! :p I could pretend that each bag is someone who works for Quality Control at CWP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.