Carpenter Ant Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
View attachment 161357 i found some Carpenter Ants in my firewood, so I split the infested wood I to small splits and tossed it on the lawn. The chickens did the rest.

upload_2015-9-6_19-11-6.png

Last edited:
I was splitting some ash a couple weeks ago. Like you, mine had a bunch of carpenter ants. Our chickens came running out of the woods to "help." Happy chickens!

Wish I had me some chickens. I was doing some splitting today and uncovered a nest of Allegheny Mound Ants. Them suckers move fast and are aggressive as hell.

My chickens not are pest control, they also do my weed trimming! It's wonderful.

Reactions: Lake Girl
That is one thing I am thinking about adding to the homestead.
I am still in the research phase :)

No thinking needed... It's a given. Their needed on the homestead. We have three roosters too. Hearing their crowing in between cutting, splitting and stacking us like having your own chearing section!

No thinking needed... It's a given. Their needed on the homestead. We have three roosters too. Hearing their crowing in between cutting, splitting and stacking us like having your own chearing section!
;lol;lol

The trick with chickens is to build a good coop. Aside from that, they are easier to take care of than a dog. You have to make sure they have feed and water, collect the eggs, and you have to occasionally clean the cook. Other than that they are not much work.

The trick with chickens is to build a good coop. Aside from that, they are easier to take care of than a dog. You have to make sure they have feed and water, collect the eggs, and you have to occasionally clean the cook. Other than that they are not much work.

+1 on the solid coop. I built a coop and pen this year that doubles as a bomb shelter. We have 9 hens and 3 roosters thus far that we started this Spring. We've been getting fresh eggs since the first part of July. When we are home, we let them roam around the yard and forage for food. They are awesome to have and they love to eat all the bugs!

WP_20150405_18_20_42_Pro.jpg WP_20150630_18_54_27_Pro.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.