Why One Should Stack Wood Away from House or Other Structure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Interesting. I don't use anything Google for various reasons. I had tried searching for "permethrin on firewood" in a different search engine. There were a number of results, but the only one that seemed relevant was the Florida Wildlife Department. They had enough bad info that I didn't trust them (e.g., something like "To reduce pests brought in on firewood, make sure to collect your firewood shortly before burning it, and don't keep leftover firewood from one year to the next.") The colonialpest site was in the results, but a different page that didn't address the question.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Ah-Ha, that is good to know.
I will keep this bit of info in mind if I ever disconnect my woodburner from the chimney and vent it indoors. 🙄

1704392094122.png

Reactions: cahaak
How many posts a day do we get about smoke not leaving the stove in ways other than the chimney?

And besides, if you apply against the label, you are breaking the law. I’m more likely than you are to attract attention than you are for it, but it is what it is.

Reactions: ctreitzell
I store a weeks worth of wood in the basement at a time and the rest about 50-100 feet away. I find all sorts of interesting things in the back wood piles. Snake skin, mice nests, piles of live mice, bugs, you name it. I just smack some splits together, load the trailer, and bring it in. I haven't had any issues with bugs. Sometimes when I'm removing bark before bringing it in I'll find some mostly dead carpenter ants that I'll just shake off out back. There's no stopping mice getting in around here so we manage them the best we can. All my wood is 3 years old when burned and dry as a bone. Love that hard crack when banging the stuff off them.

No way I'd ever spray my firewood with chemicals. That's just me. I've got little kids and animals in here and smoke rolls out on reloads sometimes, it's unavailable nobody is perfect. I don't want to risk breathing that stuff.

One week's worth of oak:

1000000991.jpg

When I first built the house I had Bilco bulkhead door and the mice had no issues getting in. It was cold and a PITA so I removed it and replaced with a "dog house" with a full size door and then put a solid core exterior door on the inside of the basement. I remove the interior stairs and load it with wheelbarrow from my stacks. no issues with bugs or insects. Some years I pile it real neat but most years like this one I just dump it in. I f I stack it neat I can get 1/2 a cord or more in. The mice still on occasion find their way into the dog house and I have a couple of traps but they rarely if ever make it past the inner door as long as I keep it closed. I have a piece of structural steel hidden in the roof of the dog house and a couple of hooks sticking out the ceiling attached to it. I use two chainfalls to transfer loads from the door down to the floor. My power shop tools, and wood boiler came in that way, and more recently a used Roth Oil tank and system 2000 oil boiler. I would never go back to a Bilco, they leak heat and freeze up in the winter.

When I stack my firewood in my shed, under roof, I sprinkle it with borax. I use the five lb box you can get at Walmart for cheap. It sits there stacked for three years until I use it in my rotation. I never see insects, but part of that is also due to the fact that I pile dry it for one year before it gets shed stacked. Dry wood isn't particularly attractive to most insects.

Borax burns fine and oxidizes in the wood stove, no issues. A five lb box treats about three cords.

Wherever my green wood piles are, I put 2 ant traps on each pile while the wood seasons…that only deals with ants though

Last month an old, treated post section ended up in the stove… we didn’t realize until toxic nastiness took over the living room…I evacuated every human and pet; closed all the doors…put on a FFP2 mask (wish I had a respirator, but I don’t) extracted the burning log into a galvanised tub and extinguished it outside with a garden hose

This toxic piece was delivered to me by my wood supplier…He will get it back if we use him again…very uncool…I’m being much more vigilant inspecting what he’s delivering me before any piece goes on the inside fire

I would think that once you split open the nest the ants will move on to an undisturbed area. I ran into this once so far, just moved those splits off to the side and let them sit for a bit, came back and no ants. My wood is kept about 130 ft away from the house. I fill up two old patio boxes at the base of my deck with wood that I carry into the house in a rubbermade tote. I also have wetlands on my property so there are a lot of downed trees that are more attractive locations than my wood piles.

I would think that once you split open the nest the ants will move on to an undisturbed area. I ran into this once so far, just moved those splits off to the side and let them sit for a bit, came back and no ants. My wood is kept about 130 ft away from the house. I fill up two old patio boxes at the base of my deck with wood that I carry into the house in a rubbermade tote. I also have wetlands on my property so there are a lot of downed trees that are more attractive locations than my wood piles.
So far no bugs in my 1/3 cord stack under my deck. About 10’ from the house. My emergency wood. Also have wetlands and I know ants like moisture. Maybe my deck wood is too dry for them.

Ants do not like dry wood, this is true. Good news for all of us with kick ass firewood!

Reactions: cahaak